• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ruby clear iridium questions

DKO

Oakley Enthusiast
626, SGV, CA
Hi everyone,
Since you are all fonts of information, I wanted to ask about Ruby Clear Iridium. It seems to be a very rare tint, and maybe somewhat discontinued. The threads I read talked about it for goggles, and some for very low light conditions and indoor. It seems to be just a clear lens with a light iridium coating, which would make sense for an indoor sport with bright lights like volleyball, racquetball, basketball or hockey, arena football, but I'm just guessing. What was this tint originally made for? What is it good for? And are there any models in recent years where ruby clear was or is a replacement lens option?

Hi everyone,
Since you are all fonts of information, I wanted to ask about Ruby Clear Iridium. It seems to be a very rare tint, and maybe somewhat discontinued. The threads I read talked about it for goggles, and some for very low light conditions and indoor. It seems to be just a clear lens with a light iridium coating, which would make sense for an indoor sport with bright lights like volleyball, racquetball, basketball or hockey, arena football, but I'm just guessing. What was this tint originally made for? What is it good for? And are there any models in recent years where ruby clear was or is a replacement lens option?

Clicking on this link directly won't work, but if you copy and paste it into your address bar it will. It's from o-review, 19 reviews of the lens, might help with some of your questions:

http://www.o-review.com/reviews.php?ID=1141

It is an awesome display lens, but horrible to wear. It does that double vision thing that Fire does, only much worse.

In my experience, it's not quite as flare prone as Fire, but it works great as a club/party lens. Attracts a lot of attention on a dance floor, but it could be my spastic moves...
More useful than Gold clear, but less than Ti clear.

More useful than Gold clear, but less than Ti clear.
Thanks for the info on this. I am using Ti clears now as computer screen glasses, and was wondering if Ruby clears were better. Sounds like a no.
And it sounds like it is not all that useful for sports because of the ghosting and flare.
Thanks.

Anyone had any experience with the linegear version of these? Was thinking about getting a set for my Juliet's that I use whilst cycling to work, now the clocks are about to change I'll be in the dark for my journeys, but still want the eye protection.

Back