• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ruby Vr50 photochromic

Just watched your thread of ruby clear...the lens looks fantastic..is ruby vr50 similar to ruby clear? I think ruby vr50 looks like ruby clear when deactivated when exposed to UV light it turns to dark ruby colour just like the pic I attached below. View attachment 594988

The pair i had was never that red. It looked more orange like how @the_owl 's looks. Maybe it's because i never had it activate. Can't comment on how it works as i never wore them. Just displayed for a bit, then sold them off. Definitely one of the most interesting lenses Oakley put out there. Kinda wish i kept it just for the lens itself.

Also, i've read somewhere that the photochromatic properties wear out over time. Something to keep in mind when buying these lenses.

The pair i had was never that red. It looked more orange like how @the_owl 's looks. Maybe it's because i never had it activate. Can't comment on how it works as i never wore them. Just displayed for a bit, then sold them off. Definitely one of the most interesting lenses Oakley put out there. Kinda wish i kept it just for the lens itself.

Also, i've read somewhere that the photochromatic properties wear out over time. Something to keep in mind when buying these lenses.
Ok thanks. I still haven't decided whether should I buy that pair of jawbones or not.Is it worthwhile to spend that much amount of money just for the lens?

Which eBay auction is it? Personally i wouldn't buy a frame just for lenses, but people do that because they want a specific lens for their projects. In this scenario, given photochromatics only last for 2-3 years varying upon use, i definitely wouldn't buy just for the lenses, unless you like the frame as well and can use it for something else. Since you've never had a Jawbone, it might be worth a try if you like bigger frames. Jawbones are pretty sporty looking (meant for cycling).

Which eBay auction is it? Personally i wouldn't buy a frame just for lenses, but people do that because they want a specific lens for their projects. In this scenario, given photochromatics only last for 2-3 years varying upon use, i definitely wouldn't buy just for the lenses, unless you like the frame as well and can use it for something else. Since you've never had a Jawbone, it might be worth a try if you like bigger frames. Jawbones are pretty sporty looking (meant for cycling).
Thank you very much. :)

This is that pair of jawbones with ruby vr50 lenses.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
is it looking good?

Yea dude, that lens is 99% from an echelon.
the frame itself isnt much.
That auction price should net you an echelon pair NIB

Latest Posts

Back