• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ruby vs Torch vs LG Red Mirror Lenses

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
I haven't seen any comparison between these 3 lenses, at least not in the same thread. I'm fortunate enough to have the 3 of them installed in different Juliets, so I think it would be nice to have each one of them side by side so any user can compare them and see which one they like the most (we all want those from Black Hawk Down or XMen, don't we?).
I have worn them all a couple of times during sunny and cloudy days, as well as inside my house. From left to right: Polished with Linegear Red Mirror, 1st Gen Plasma with Custom Cut Torch, and Carbon with Ruby (1st or 2nd gen, still discussing this)

IMG_2682.JPG

My comments as a wearer:
Red Mirror: Clear but darker view with a greyish tone, I like these for brighter days, they aren't as clear as an Oakley lens, but by all means it ain't bad, it is the best aftermarket lens I've worn. Inside the house they are a bit too dark, you won't be blind but you lose some clarity.

IMG_2696.JPG

Torch: Clear View with a greyish blue tone, these are custom cut from a Triggerman lens, I like these for mid sunny days and cloudy days, they work fine inside the house, but as for very bright days like at the beach, I'd try something else.

IMG_2694.JPG

Ruby: Clear view with blueish tone, still trying to figure out if they are 1st or 2nd gen. They are very nice for any day, even very bright or very cloudy days you can use them in any light condition, even inside the house.

IMG_2692.JPG

My comments as a viewer:
Red Mirror: Red purpleish tone, it has a nice mirror finish and your eyes will only be seen when you get really close to them. They've also got a very nice shine.

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

Torch: Red yellowish tone with a bit of purple at some angles, this has a mid mirror finish so, unless you are in bright conditions, your eyes can be lightly seen from different angles/distances. Color is closer to Ruby compared to the Red Mirror. They have a great shine when hit by sunlight, not so much in dark areas.

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

Ruby: Red/ Purple Yellowish tone? I can't really describe these well, but we all know they are beautiful. They have an awesome mirror finish in all conditions, your eyes will not be shown except in low light areas and at a quite close distance.

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

Prices:
Red Mirror: $60 usd + shipping, totally worth the price, you get great lenses at a great price.
Torch: Depends on who ever cut these for you but I've seen them $90-$120, these cost close to double than linegear, but they are OEM so that's gotta count, plus in my book the color is closer to Ruby
Ruby: $? Since they are out of production and very well guarded, you might need to pay over $150 for these if you find them, if you are lucky you might find them for less. Is it a ridiculous amount of money for lenses? Yes, but is is worth it? Totally

IMG_2683.JPG

Cons:
Red Mirror: Fingerprints are harder to clean than OEM, no idea why.
Torch: Gotta have a custom cut, so price increases original lens + cut= higher price. And you need to have a good cutter, don't try this at home
Ruby: Expensive and hard as hell to get, it was easier to see the pope in person in Rome, than getting one of these.

IMG_2684.JPG

So there you have it, please remember, this is just my opinion, so you can totally be against it. I just want to help those like me, who are in search of their Xmen/Black Hawk Down sunglasses, or the next closest to them. All 3 lenses are great, I have them all, and depending on the day I switch them out, so just think on what you like the most and go get it.
Cheers

Last edited:
I like the torch! All red all the way. Your ruby has some purple to it still. This has been done but not with touch, it was pos red. Good work
I do have + red lenses but for a Penny, I'll add those later on. I like them, but they are probably the least Ruby like lenses out of them, there is a lot of blue at some angles

Thanks for putting that together.

There's been some debate of the similarities and differences between ruby and torch. One side says they're different iridiums, torch being more red. I'm of the opinion that they are the same iridium and the only real difference is torch has a higher light transmission %, any differences in redness vs. ruby are just within the same shade variations you see with ruby. I showed on another thread that the blue base tint appearance is actually an effect of the iridium over a grey base tint, and I believe the blue base tint appearance in torch indicates the same iridium is producing the same effect.

But I suggest you consider Prizm Baseball Outfield as another candidate for really red lenses, with a drastically different base tint.

Thanks for putting that together.

There's been some debate of the similarities and differences between ruby and torch. One side says they're different iridiums, torch being more red. I'm of the opinion that they are the same iridium and the only real difference is torch has a higher light transmission %, any differences in redness vs. ruby are just within the same shade variations you see with ruby. I showed on another thread that the blue base tint appearance is actually an effect of the iridium over a grey base tint, and I believe the blue base tint appearance in torch indicates the same iridium is producing the same effect.

But I suggest you consider Prizm Baseball Outfield as another candidate for really red lenses, with a drastically different base tint.
I haven't seen the Prizm baseball in person yet, put if I get a set I'll definitely add them. I also thought of Prizm Path (don't have them either) but the one time I saw them, they were really red, close to what you see in Xmen 2 an 3

Torch should be called ruby. It's the perfect red lens but it needs thicker iridium so you have more reflection.
I wonder if anyone has ever tried that. I have no idea if it is possible, but someone with the expertise should totally try

Yeah baseball outfield prizm kicks ass .. got a pair to get custom cut. When you look thru them you will understand. I love look of Ruby, fire, bi ,ice ,jade and emerald .. but I hate to look thru them for a long period of time. My favorite lenses is deep water it is simply amazing.. I have them for my Juliet's getting some cut for my Romeos and my X xx's

Back