• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rudy Project Sunglasses

Check out the Rolling O Lab sometime and you'll see how clarity compares to other brands.

I've seen the videos. I realize it's not complete bunk, but I refuse to take data supplied by the manufacturer as hard fact. Without multiple independent tests done to compare optical clarity and impact resistance there's no way to call Oakley the best.

I'm not calling Oakley out, but there's no way to know exactly what was done to the competitors' lenses prior to testing, or if they're set up to fail in some way. The Rolling O Lab doesn't show you receipts proving the competitors' glasses are fresh retail samples, do they? They don't perform the clarity tests over multiple distances with multiple batches of multiple lens geometries from multiple manufacturers all at once. You simply cannot trust the word of the people who want your money.

Here is a comparison, I know its old, but it is done by an independent lab. I think Oakley use to have reprints in their O Stores too. https://secure.usstandardissue.com/File_Repository/Eyewear_Test_Results.pdf I know most don't buy into the optical clarity thing, but the tests even Oakley does should show that there is some difference, whether you believe it or not is completely up to the you. I guess thats why the third party lenses makers are seeing more business. I trust Oakley and will always use Oakley.

Here is a comparison, I know its old, but it is done by an independent lab. I think Oakley use to have reprints in their O Stores too. https://secure.usstandardissue.com/File_Repository/Eyewear_Test_Results.pdf I know most don't buy into the optical clarity thing, but the tests even Oakley does should show that there is some difference, whether you believe it or not is completely up to the you. I guess thats why the third party lenses makers are seeing more business. I trust Oakley and will always use Oakley.

Nice! I hadn't seen that before.

Mmm, numbers and data and testing by an independent source with qualifications and everything.

Those are numbers I can put a little faith in. Not a stoner in the back of the Oakley wagon grabbing "competitor A" and showing me they blur the image, then chucking up their pair of 'Oakley Glasses To Be Used For Clarity Test' and showing zero deformation. (from a couple Rolling O Lab videos I've seen)

Though it's still not quite as thorough or up to date as I'd like.

Hope there would be an more up to date independent test of the more recent sunglasses.

I had been using my square whisker for running and it is just fogs up after 3 miles or so of running. I broke my Bolle sunglasses before when I stepped on them inside the car. I did not go with Rudy's though since a good deal for a nice pair of Nike Impel Max Adapt sunglasses came my way. I haven't tried running with them and I hope they stay firm even with the sweat as my Square Whiskers do.

Back