• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rumor: New X-Metal

Will you acquire the new release if it exists?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amp

Oakley Beginner
I asked for any X-Metals available at an official Oakley store, a Carbon-Black Iridium were the only ones. The rep told me that a new re-engineered X-Metal material will be available soon. Wonder if the quality will match or exceed after the Luxottica merge, which always disliked and affected Oakley a bit.

Sounds good, i hope that the new design is a really unique product that is indicative of the previous x-metals. Rather than a safe product that is merely a refinement of a previous model. As much as id like to see a "penny 2, Juliet 2" or something similar.:)

I was chatting with an O-Store manager just last week and he re-confirmed that the X-Metals were too expensive to produce. He said they would have had to do an upward price revision to support continuing to make them and they thought the market couldn't support it. He said they were experimenting with new materials like Carbon-Fiber hybrids but the X-Metal line would not continue. :cry:

Wonder if the quality will match or exceed after the Luxottica merge, which always disliked and affected Oakley a bit.

Even if a successor to X Metal goes to market it won't be what the original X Metal was. Period.
There will be some that will argue the contrary, but IMHO nothing beats hand-made.
They could never be hand-made again, from a kick-ass alloy and be offered at a reasonable price point under Lux with their higher margin requirements.
Under JJ Oakley did incredible things to see if they could be done. I believe that the culture margin then was that margin was a secondary consideration to execution.
My .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back