• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rust Decay Stand/Torpedo Case

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Got inspired by @sOuLfUlFoRg's custom stand for two pairs of sunglasses he did for himself. And decided to do myself a Rust Decay stand!

Of course, the skill required can't be compared to his works of beauty, but you have to consider that the artistic baseline I started from... which is well well well below average...for even a 5 y.o.

Prepared to be impressed...no, astounded...by my painting skills. Yes. Bask in the radiance that is my supreme glory from the land Down Under.

Attention, my fellow O brothers and sisters. Remember my username, cacatman. For in 100 years time, my avatar shall surely be exalted and revered alongside the greats such as sOuLfUlFoRg, @jdd32, THE X-MAN, dr.chop and zwc0442.

Even @OakleyFrankFMJ will seek out my work and have no fewer than 7 in his collection (even though there are but 3 known pieces in existence).

Now that I have perfected custom paint jobs. On to lens cutting. I've got @Chris A Hardaway in my sights.....

Ok. Ok. The above was a dream. But I did get a gold star from @cyclerdoug. Actually half. It was half a gold star.

Please note. I did it with NO parental assistance.

IMG_4938.JPG
IMG_4946.JPG
IMG_4945.JPG
IMG_4944.JPG
IMG_4943.JPG

Last edited:
So. This is what I had to do.

Step 1. Get plastic stand.

Step 2. Spray on undercoat.
Rust Decay Stand - 1.jpg

Rust Decay Stand - 2.jpg

Step 3. Paint on special base coat "rust paint". X2 coats 12 hours apart. I used Dulux Design Rust Base Paint/solution. Dry for 24 hours.
Rust Decay Stand - 3.jpg
Rust Decay Stand - 4.jpg

Step 4. Paint on Dulux oxidising solution X2 coats 3 hours apart. Dry for 12 hours.

Step 5. Spray on water every 3 hours several times until desired effect achieved.

Voila! Done!

Last edited:
Got inspired by @sOuLfUlFoRg's custom stand for two pairs of sunglasses he did for himself. And decided to do myself a Rust Decay stand!

Of course, the skill required can't be compared to his works of beauty, but you have to consider that the artistic baseline I started from... which is well well well below average...for even a 5 y.o.

Prepared to be impressed...no, astounded...by my painting skills. Yes. Bask in the radiance that is my supreme glory from the land Down Under.

Attention, my fellow O brothers and sisters. Remember my username, cacatman. For in 100 years time, my avatar shall surely be exalted and revered alongside the greats such as sOuLfUlFoRg, @jdd32, THE X-MAN, dr.chop and zwc0442.

Even @OakleyFrankFMJ will seek out my work and have no fewer than 7 in his collection (even though there are but 3 known pieces in existence).

Now that I have perfected custom paint jobs. On to lens cutting. I've got @Chris A Hardaway in my sights.....

Ok. Ok. The above was a dream. But I did get a gold star from @cyclerdoug. Actually half. It was half a gold star.

Please note. I did it with NO parental assistance.

View attachment 313415 View attachment 313416 View attachment 313417 View attachment 313418 View attachment 313419
.rofl: watch out @Chris A Hardaway !!!! You're gonna be out of business when it comes to lens cutting. Gonna have to find another way to supplement the habit!!!! :p

Latest Posts

Back