• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rustpot And EBay - This Is Getting Ridiculous.

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
Won an auction for a pair of M Frames. Pro frames, described as "maroon". Well on O-review there are several red-sounding colors that could pass for maroon. Crimson, a well-worn red, possibly blood, most don't have pictures so I figured there was a maroon-ish frame out there.

The title said GUC (good used condition) and the listing had this to say;

They have two small cracks on the top, near the forehead. Still working and wearable glasses though. I used these for baseball, but am no longer on a team with these colors. The frames are maroon. The lenses are mirrored and when you look through the lenses, everything brightens up and is yellow. Worn several times, but still in excellent condition.

So I think fine, they got yanked on and cracked the frame, it happens, excellent condition means this Gen1 Hybrid lens can likely be saved and it's bronze, gold, or something similar from the description. Cool!

Fast forward 5 days and they arrive. Not only are they beyond terrible condition, they're FAKES. Stupid blurring ******* photos. I should have caught this.

Ok, no problem, let's send him a message on eBay, they're clearly fakes once I have them in hand.

Compose a nicely worded message to the effect of "hey man, so these are fake. They're also in piss poor shape, but more importantly they're obvious fakes when compared to pairs in my collection."

Except, you know, I used more college words and wrote like an adult to try and clearly explain what was up.

The response?
What do you mean item is not as described? I clearly labeled them as having cracks in the frame. Let me know what the issue is. If you didn't read the description, then that's on you. Sorry.

Ok. So we're gonna go ahead and elevate this one. At least it's only $20 that's tied up.

eBay sucks. I'd rather sell on the forums over eBay anyday.

A good number of my pairs are from eBay. All of my NewFrogs, which I have several LNIB or VG. The bulk of my M Frames are also sourced there.

I think my problem is that I continually look for diamonds in the rough. I seek out auctions with poor listings, where the seller doesn't quite know what they have and I can score them for under what they'd normally go for.

In this case I was going to junk the frame anyway, maybe use it for display only, but I was seeking the Gen1 Hybrid lens. Quite possibly my favorite M Frame lens style, I only have 1 good example of. Described as excellent, arrived as utter ****. Deep scratches abound, plenty of scuffs, not one sq. mm is untouched. God dammit.

For new frames I'd rather pay a little over ebay prices and buy retail (online stores are always having sales anyways) for the piece of mind. I recently won a pair that I found out was fake after I had won from zooming in on the SKU. Luckily, the seller was a good sport and refunded my money. For vintage pairs though, ebay is the go-to.

Like you said, its only twenty bucks. You played it smart. I know guys that have gotten severely burned on the bay.

Like you said, its only twenty bucks. You played it smart. I know guys that have gotten severely burned on the bay.
Oh, I've been burned much worse. Mostly on condition discrepancy where the seller says they're gently used and have one small mark that they can't even get to photograph, bidding goes up north of $100. They show up looking like they were used by the loser in a hammer fight.

eBay has already refunded my money. Negative feedback time.

Edit:
Feedback left -
"Fake item, much worse condition than described, seller asked what my problem was"

Oh, I've been burned much worse. Mostly on condition discrepancy where the seller says they're gently used and have one small mark that they can't even get to photograph, bidding goes up north of $100. They show up looking like they were used by the loser in a hammer fight.

eBay has already refunded my money. Negative feedback time.

Edit:
Feedback left -
"Fake item, much worse condition than described, seller asked what my problem was"

Dude, when i read that part where you said they looked like they had been used by the loser in a hammer fight, i busted out laughing! Funny s**t!

Back