• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

RX Lens Question - Flak 2.0

23109VC

Oakley Beginner
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum.

I have fairly bad eyes. I have -4.75 in one eye and -5.5 in the other, AND I have 3.0 degrees of prism in each eye. NOT prizm like the lens technology... but bending the light to offset double vision prism... anyway.. I can't wear contacts...I must wear glasses due to the prism I need in my lenses.

I am into road cycling and am tired of always squinting outside ... I want to get a pair of oakleys and I recently went ot the local lenscrafters and checked out the Oakley frames for sunglasses. they said in my RX I can get the Flak 2.0 frames.

my face is frather narrow and the lenses they had for me to try on in the store were the XL or larger lenses. I see that I can get a "standard' lens that looks a bit smaller. I was wondering , if I get RX lenses, can I get them in either the stanrdar or XL lenses - or only one style?

I had also tried on a smaller pair of glasses..i think they wer called flack jackets...the lenses looked very sijilar only smaller and I liked how they looked on me better..they looked super similar only smaller..but the optician said I could not get my RX - as it was too high in that frame.

i'm also thiking of getting Prizm road lenses and using them as daily sunglasses. for everything. i'll of course wear them when I'm cycling..but I'd plan to also wear them driving, and when I'm out and about doing everything else..just walking around outside, etc. I read online that the Prizm road lens is versatile and can work fine as a daily wear lens.

so - my basic Questions are: how good is the Prizm road lense as a daily wear lens?

can I get the smaller "standard" lens in RX? I want the lenses to be smaller not larger, as my face is thin/narroe and the full size flak 2.0 with the XL lenses looked too big on me. they looked almost identical until I put them side by side and then the flak jacket at lenscrafters looked smaller than the 2.0 ones.

thanks

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum.

I have fairly bad eyes. I have -4.75 in one eye and -5.5 in the other, AND I have 3.0 degrees of prism in each eye. NOT prizm like the lens technology... but bending the light to offset double vision prism... anyway.. I can't wear contacts...I must wear glasses due to the prism I need in my lenses.

I am into road cycling and am tired of always squinting outside ... I want to get a pair of oakleys and I recently went ot the local lenscrafters and checked out the Oakley frames for sunglasses. they said in my RX I can get the Flak 2.0 frames.

my face is frather narrow and the lenses they had for me to try on in the store were the XL or larger lenses. I see that I can get a "standard' lens that looks a bit smaller. I was wondering , if I get RX lenses, can I get them in either the stanrdar or XL lenses - or only one style?

I had also tried on a smaller pair of glasses..i think they wer called flack jackets...the lenses looked very sijilar only smaller and I liked how they looked on me better..they looked super similar only smaller..but the optician said I could not get my RX - as it was too high in that frame.

i'm also thiking of getting Prizm road lenses and using them as daily sunglasses. for everything. i'll of course wear them when I'm cycling..but I'd plan to also wear them driving, and when I'm out and about doing everything else..just walking around outside, etc. I read online that the Prizm road lens is versatile and can work fine as a daily wear lens.

so - my basic Questions are: how good is the Prizm road lense as a daily wear lens?

can I get the smaller "standard" lens in RX? I want the lenses to be smaller not larger, as my face is thin/narroe and the full size flak 2.0 with the XL lenses looked too big on me. they looked almost identical until I put them side by side and then the flak jacket at lenscrafters looked smaller than the 2.0 ones.

thanks

Your prescription will only work on the Flak 2.0 Standard lens shape.

Prizm Road may be used for daily wear.

Following this, recently got into contact with @Chris A Hardaway regarding a similar question with the same Flak2.0 frame, but then using transition lenses which go dark when exposed to sunlight.. might be an option for you too, then you have best of both worlds ;) Will not be cheap, but very cool.

Got the idea when I was in Nigeria a short while ago, and met a guy from South Africa who had Flak2.0s with that same combo, and it looked awesome.

Can you have transition lenses with prism road?

Thanks for the info!

How similar is the lens size/shape of flak 2.0 standard to the regular flak jacket lenses?

Thanks for the info!

How similar is the lens size/shape of flak 2.0 standard to the regular flak jacket lenses?
Hehe, that would be awesome, but I don't think so.. as far as the info I have there are 2 diffent versions; one is completely clear indoors and darkens to (guesstimate) let say 60%, and the other version is a little bit tinted indoors, has a (iridium) mirrorcoating and tints just about the dark as regular sunglasses. I know there is black, brown and some other colors available. But you will have to wait for the complete list of options.. Lets not run ahead, since we do not know if if your prescription is doable on these lenses. Mr. Hardaway does. I am far from an expert, just orientating, same as you are.

As far as the size comparising between the two frames; got no idea, because I do not own both. But I'm the there are a lot of people here that can tell you.

Oakley produce lenses from +4 to -6 so your prescription should be within the capability of what they can provide. The critical thing in all this is the curvature of the lens and a base curve of 8 is challenging and therefore why Oakley prescription sunglasses are the go to option. I have a -2.75/-3.00 plus prism prescription. If I could I would wear my oo red polarized (close to Prizm Road) XS for everything they are so comfortable.

The good news is that as long as Oakley support the frame, they will put them in any frame you like (old and new), at least in the UK (although AFAIK they are done in the US).

The benefits of using a frame like the Flak and others designed to change lenses easily, is you can change them and rotate them. Other than that, choose a frame you like.

Thanks for the info!

Transition lenses on prizm??!! I don't think so. They are two very different technologies and one would kill the other in sunlight.

The transitions rely on a silver based compound that when exposed to light reacts and goes dark. This works very well, but has a shelf life as the compound gets damage over time and the performance will suffer over time. That said, if you replace every two years this should not be a massive issue.

If you add transitions over prizm road, the whole dynamics of the nice contrast lens will be ruined.

any of you have Flak 2.0 with a prescription as big as mine so I can get an idea how thick they will actually be? anyone have experience using them? I'm worried that even though the RX may able to be ground into the lens - that maybe it will look weird OR even worse, it will gie me fishbowl type distortion. I read on another website where guys were getting relatively thicker RX's ground into Oakley wraparound sunglasses, and then they had problems with peripheral vision and getting dizzy/distortion when they moved their heads too much...

wondering if I should spend the money to find out or if I'm better off getting some kind of inserts? I would just wear contacts but I can't. I have prism prescription in my glasses and they can't put that into contacts. so i'm stuck with glasses 24/7. I hate it. I haven't worn sunglasses in 2 years since I had to get this RX and I'd really like something I can wear outside and especially when cycling.

I am less worried about how they look "fashion" wise.. fi the lens looks a bit odd from the sides, i'm ok with that. i'm getting these mostlyh for cycling and when I am out driving in my car. but if they make my dizzy or give me some fishbowl effect, i'd rather get a different style lens that will more easily accept a thick RX.

thanks.

Back