• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rx lenses and the "fishbowl" effect in wrapped frames?

TheLamonster

Oakley Beginner
I recently had to return my prescription Cables because when I looked anywhere other than straight ahead, my eyes couldn't focus together. It was a really weird effect and I don't know how else to describe it. It was like each eye was looking at something different. No bueno for driving.

My question is WHY. Maybe it's the base curve? Except my prescription Gibstons and Gauge 8s are similarly wrapped and I can see through them just fine. Maybe it's a manufacturing defect? Doesn't seem very likely with all of the complex mathmetics and precise machines used to make the lenses. Maybe it's due to how close the Cables frame is to the face?

Hoping someone with knowledge like @Chris A Hardaway can help me identify what the issue likely was, because I'd like to order a few more Rx frames but I don't want to have to end up returning them.

Where did you have them made?
Straight from Oakley. My Rx is not that intense, either:

cropped glasses prescription rx 2022.jpg

Normally you need to be measured so they can position the lenses accurately within the frame. The old school way was to just mark the pupil location on the demo lens of the frame, now they pretty much do that digitally

Normally you need to be measured so they can position the lenses accurately within the frame. The old school way was to just mark the pupil location on the demo lens of the frame, now they pretty much do that digitally
Exactly.
And 2.75 cylinder isn't a mild rX honestly. It's a pretty significant prescription. Digital lenses that Oakley does need a specific vertical measurement. So have them check not only the pd but the oc height too. You can even call it pd and seg height if they don't know what oc height means

Exactly.
And 2.75 cylinder isn't a mild rX honestly. It's a pretty significant prescription. Digital lenses that Oakley does need a specific vertical measurement. So have them check not only the pd but the oc height too. You can even call it pd and seg height if they don't know what oc height means
I agree . 2.75 diopters of cylinder correction for astigmatism is def not mild . Your prescription is pretty much entirely comprised of astigmatic correction ..

astigmatic refractive error creates a “pincushion “ type of optical distortion and lenses need to be measured precisely and ground almost perfectly to the values on the Rx (especially the axis number )
def ask where you got the glasses to double check to make sure optical center (OC) height and PD measurements were taking correctly ..

I agree . 2.75 diopters of cylinder correction for astigmatism is def not mild . Your prescription is pretty much entirely comprised of astigmatic correction ..

astigmatic refractive error creates a “pincushion “ type of optical distortion and lenses need to be measured precisely and ground almost perfectly to the values on the Rx (especially the axis number )
def ask where you got the glasses to double check to make sure optical center (OC) height and PD measurements were taking correctly ..
Good point. With that cylinder the axis of astigmatism really needs to be within +/- 1 degree. Though ANSI standards mean 2 degrees is a pass... so what if they are 3 degrees off?
@Serturbo Makes a good point if you take the sum of your sphere and cylinder they add up to 0.00 or 0.25 diopters..diopter... so in some ways your rx seems "mild" but the 2.75 cylinder means your eyes shaped a little off.
Thanks for your expertise!

Good point. With that cylinder the axis of astigmatism really needs to be within +/- 1 degree. Though ANSI standards mean 2 degrees is a pass... so what if they are 3 degrees off?
@Serturbo Makes a good point if you take the sum of your sphere and cylinder they add up to 0.00 or 0.25 diopters..diopter... so in some ways your rx seems "mild" but the 2.75 cylinder means your eyes shaped a little off.
Thanks for your expertise!
Thank you guys for the info!

My OC height was never measured because I got the exam from my Ophthalmologist (which came out the same as last year which gives me confidence that the Axis numbers are correct) and then ordered directly from Oakley.com using the RX image I posted above. The Oakley store in my area is just a "Vault" with retail workers who do not do any measuring and I don't live very close to the nearest LensCrafters so I'd much prefer to order from Oakley.com.

So considering that, I'm wondering how to identify which frames I should stay away from and which are more likely to work for me. I have Rx Metalink clear lenses which are a 4 base curve and are perfectly crystal clear ("Oakley true digital" lenses), and like I said the Gibstons are also perfectly clear (Prizm Tungsten). The Gibstons and the Cables are so similar in shape (check out the pic below) so I'm still not sure what to do going forward when I want to order more sunglasses. I've seen the threads here saying that the Straightlink frames have the same issue I'm describing with the Cables.

What differentiates the Cables from the Gibstons to where one would not look right and the other would be perfect? Both ordered from Oakley.com, with the same Rx and both with high-quality Prizm lenses...

wrap comparison.png

Back