• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Rx strength compatibility?

TheLamonster

Oakley Beginner
I am going to order some prescription sunglasses and I noticed in the product info on Oakley's official site that some of the lenses are not able to take a prescription stronger than +2.00 to -3.00 (or the like). Square Wire is an example. However, when I look at more extreme shaped lenses like Gibston, the product info simply says "PRESCRIPTION: Available with Oakley Authentic Prescription Lenses for athletes of all levels with RX needs"

Kind of hard to believe that Gibston can take any strength prescription so my question is is there a chart somewhere or a site where I can check each lens' Rx compatibility? If I ordered Gibstons direct with my Rx which is +2.75 would Oakley just refund me after a few days when they realize my Rx is too strong? I am looking at a dozen or so sunglass frames and knowing Rx strength compatibility would help narrow down the options and also prevent me wasting my time purchasing a frame that won't work for my Rx.

Thinking @Chris A Hardaway might be able to help me understand this issue :)

Actually, just found this thread. However, this says Square Wire is compatible with over +2.00. Why is that when the official product page says otherwise?

I am going to order some prescription sunglasses and I noticed in the product info on Oakley's official site that some of the lenses are not able to take a prescription stronger than +2.00 to -3.00 (or the like). Square Wire is an example. However, when I look at more extreme shaped lenses like Gibston, the product info simply says "PRESCRIPTION: Available with Oakley Authentic Prescription Lenses for athletes of all levels with RX needs"

Kind of hard to believe that Gibston can take any strength prescription so my question is is there a chart somewhere or a site where I can check each lens' Rx compatibility? If I ordered Gibstons direct with my Rx which is +2.75 would Oakley just refund me after a few days when they realize my Rx is too strong? I am looking at a dozen or so sunglass frames and knowing Rx strength compatibility would help narrow down the options and also prevent me wasting my time purchasing a frame that won't work for my Rx.

Thinking @Chris A Hardaway might be able to help me understand this issue :)
Yes. I second @Chris A Hardaway . He is the man for Rx lenses. I go to him before I even go to my doc for Rx lenses!!

Actually, just found this thread. However, this says Square Wire is compatible with over +2.00. Why is that when the official product page says otherwise?
Thank you! Photos are there w rx parameters...

If you have a strong rx please don't order online. This should be fitted and sold on person by a skilled optician... unless you wanna do it twice to get it right

Thank you! Photos are there w rx parameters...

If you have a strong rx please don't order online. This should be fitted and sold on person by a skilled optician... unless you wanna do it twice to get it right
Would you consider this a strong Rx?

683A4944-465A-489B-9A7F-46E3AAE11837.jpeg

Would you consider this a strong Rx?

View attachment 952921
Technically your RX is only Strong due to the astigmatism.

The way your RX would be written for Oakley is
R +0.00 -2.75 X 088
L +0.25 -2.75 X 095

SO I wouldn't consider it "strong" now that it's transposed the way I typed above. Meaning your glasses won't be too thick... But yes, it's strong because you have moderate astigmatism. Certainly about double average for cylinder or astigmatism... Oakley only goes up to 3.00 cylinder.

So you are just in there! Good luck on the hunt.

Latest Posts

Back