• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sad Day

• Thread starter Deleted member 13416
  • Start date
I tried calling Oakley today, and Customer Service was closed for the day. Not a good place to start trimming if You ask me. I stopped buying when Luxotica bought them out. I thought, well, they aren't going to be real Oakleys anymore. Now they're probably going to make a lot of cheap wire frame Aviators.
This happened to Gibson and Harley Davidson, and some well-heeled employees bought the facility and hired all of the employees who would take a chance on a new endeavor. And they started putting out quality pieces that blew the doors off of anything that the parent company and their "favorites" we're capable of coming up with. Luxotica's $3 Billion gamble when they bought out Oakley may as well be a pallet of $100 bills that were set ablaze.
Sometimes moves like this backfire, and if I found out that the eliminated employees were sertting out on their own, I would probably start buying a LOT of sunglasses. And NOT from some company based in France. Oakley became a monster corporation because some of the best minds in AMERICA hired some of the greatest minds in AMERICA, and the rest was history. And history often repeats itself. Time will tell, but buying some space in a San Jose Industrial park would be a start. And Apple has a LOT of cash, and no good place to put it. Yet.

I tried calling Oakley today, and Customer Service was closed for the day. Not a good place to start trimming if You ask me. I stopped buying when Luxotica bought them out. I thought, well, they aren't going to be real Oakleys anymore. Now they're probably going to make a lot of cheap wire frame Aviators.
This happened to Gibson and Harley Davidson, and some well-heeled employees bought the facility and hired all of the employees who would take a chance on a new endeavor. And they started putting out quality pieces that blew the doors off of anything that the parent company and their "favorites" we're capable of coming up with. Luxotica's $3 Billion gamble when they bought out Oakley may as well be a pallet of $100 bills that were set ablaze.
Sometimes moves like this backfire, and if I found out that the eliminated employees were sertting out on their own, I would probably start buying a LOT of sunglasses. And NOT from some company based in France. Oakley became a monster corporation because some of the best minds in AMERICA hired some of the greatest minds in AMERICA, and the rest was history. And history often repeats itself. Time will tell, but buying some space in a San Jose Industrial park would be a start. And Apple has a LOT of cash, and no good place to put it. Yet.

What happened with Harley was badas$ and it would take something along those lines to bring Oakley back, if possible at all. Oakley needs a "Willie G".

Very sad- my thoughts go out to all those employees and their families. I saw this writing on the wall with Oakley when a press release from them a few months back said something along the lines of they expected overall profits to rise with no increase in sales- well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the only way you pull that off is by cutting what you already have and the bulk of that is HR. Unfortunately, I've seen this happen so much in my industry and company; while we're a Fortune 200 company with a Chairman now worth $26 billion and capable of founding a pro sports franchise, it comes with a price and that price has been about 4,000 layoffs the last 3 years and roughly 15,000 since 2006. We could say so much more about how this is a cautionary tale of what happens when huge mega corps essentially develop monopolies and centralize jobs right out of existence- but at the end of the day the human element is the same in that many people today have had their lives change for the worse much as I've seen happen 1,000's of my colleagues the last few years.

Latest Posts

Back