• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Savitars should I go polarised vs non polarised

Hasn’t lost its appeal on me, not gimmicky at all. I love my grey lenses, but my different Prizm lenses are just awesome to wear. I prefer the warmer lenses (bronze and rose based). Deep water is probably my favorite.
I would love to do that, but id be homeless pretty quickly with bankruptcy :) they are quite expesnive here
ive bought a few of them with the intention to return all but one after I choose

As TNRedbeard said, definitely not gimmicky, works off the same kind of principle of how your eyes adjust to different white balances. Walking into a room with Warm White light bulbs, and then into a room with daylight bulbs. White still appears white to you, but certain colors may seem more vivid or clearer.

So with the tints they come up with it's aimed at changing contrast and making some things pop out more than others.

I would say that the appeal is still there, you just get more 'comfortable' with it, and it's not as much a shock, especially once you have an expectation of what you're going to get when you put them on. My Prizm Maritime kind of leans a little cool-ish neutral when the day is mostly overcast, but when the sun comes out it's causes some colors to be a bit more clearer or contrast, while seemingly neutral (Prizm Daily would be more neutral but still slight warm leaning with the pop) but it's not overall as contrasty as my tungsten lens. My Tungsten lens give me the warmer 'golden hour' feel most of the day, certain colors have more details to them when they're not so blended as the same hue. But with Tungsten while they're good for variable conditions, they tend to be a tad harder to see shadow details due to the higher contrast.

Tungsten is actually quite nice in an urban environment, but can sometimes feel a little overpowering out in the country side with all the foliage. I like Prizm Shallow water for closer to that golden hour look, but it dulls the greens a tiny bit separating the different hues more.

Long Story Short : You kind of have to see it for yourself, since your eyes/brain is not going to adjust to it at the same pace as everyone else. For me it's hard to go to something that's Not Prizm, and it's the main reason I would buy modern Oakley (And I have prizm lenses cut for my older ones I recently got).
thanks for that, im still trying to work out , as cool as those bright reds and green seem, im thinking they might be too bright and give me a headache (but this is all speculation)
i will play with my toys tomorrow during the day!

thanks for that, im still trying to work out , as cool as those bright reds and green seem, im thinking they might be too bright and give me a headache (but this is all speculation)
i will play with my toys tomorrow during the day!
If sapphire ends up being too intense for you after a few days, most everything else will be more so if you go away from a grey base.

If sapphire ends up being too intense for you after a few days, most everything else will be more so if you go away from a grey base.
Thats interesting, Iagree with it

Today, I tried both the polarised silver lens vs polarised sapphire, here is what I found

when its very bright, the polarised sapphire, the greens and reds stand out and look like CG, and looks really cool
the polarised silver has a blue tinge to everything and everything seems to be bright and clear

in moderate brightness, the polarised sapphire is quite subdued while the greens and reds stand out still,
the polarised silver dulls down and just looks clear

i found that hte sapphire has overall a yellow tinge, whilst the polarised silver has a blueish tinge, the best way I would describe is turning the blue light filter off/on on your phone

i have a feeling the sapphire view is too bright and might give me a headache or mess with my head because its so bright, or maybe id get used to it

so at this point im looking at choosing the polarised silver lens,

however if someone told me that the brightening of the reds and greens was a premium lens over the silver polarised id believe it, at the same time, if soemone told me the cool blue look on the polarised silver was a premium lens over the other, id believe that too. I guess marketing at its best!

Btw when you say "polarized silver", I assume you're talking about Prizm Black Polarized.

Some people like the contrast boost, especially as many people will confused contrast for overall sharpness and clarity (and in sports applications, improved contrast helps aid your vision).

Also when you have overcast or mostly cloudy skies, the actual environment itself is getting cooler/bluer in color temperature, which without shades isn't as noticeable because our eyes adjust to it. But with shades like with what you're doing, you're consciously observing the change.

colour-temperature.gif

You're probably the type of person that is simply just more comfortable using flat neutral tone shades that simply reduces the brightness coming into the lens. Of the Prizm Lenses, Prizm Black (be it polarized or not) is going to be the closest to that goal since they don't offer the Savitars in non-prizm options. If they did, standard Oakley Iridium Black or Grey would fit the bill (no contrast enhancements, just light reduction).

Btw when you say "polarized silver", I assume you're talking about Prizm Black Polarized.

Some people like the contrast boost, especially as many people will confused contrast for overall sharpness and clarity (and in sports applications, improved contrast helps aid your vision).

Also when you have overcast or mostly cloudy skies, the actual environment itself is getting cooler/bluer in color temperature, which without shades isn't as noticeable because our eyes adjust to it. But with shades like with what you're doing, you're consciously observing the change.

View attachment 923626

You're probably the type of person that is simply just more comfortable using flat neutral tone shades that simply reduces the brightness coming into the lens. Of the Prizm Lenses, Prizm Black (be it polarized or not) is going to be the closest to that goal since they don't offer the Savitars in non-prizm options. If they did, standard Oakley Iridium Black or Grey would fit the bill (no contrast enhancements, just light reduction).
yes you are right, apologies if my terminology is wrong, the one im leaning towrads is this one

to be honest, im oaying big $$$ for these glasses so if I put them on and there was no difference id be disappinted, that being said the light blue tinge and enhacing of the overall view is very nice and makes me feel warm and fuzzy:)

the blue sapphire even had me feeling more surprised and impressed :)

sooo, I thought I had updated,

for christmas 2021, I purchased a silver frame with gray polarised lens, and am very happy with it

I saw a banner on a site for oakley cyber friday deals , and had a peak, and they had the black frame with gold polarised lenses for 50% off ($200 AUD) , and the Blue lens/silver lens for 20% off
so I ended up buying the 50% off one, very happy with them,
im assuming theyre 50% off due to unpopularity,

i actually am not the biggest fan of how savitars look on me now, however the quality, frame strength, lightweightness i love so will continue to wear them!
if the blue lens one becomes 50% ill buy them too!:)

Latest Posts

Back