• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Scratches On Brand New Twenty (2012) Frames (polished Black)?

I see that and it makes sense. But it raises the question if there is a problem with the manufacturing process itself on some models that come with the polished black frame (Twenty 2012, whatever that Malaysian guy posted in the photos). Just took a quick look at my wife's 2-yr old Straight Jackets (also polished black), and they also have some similar scratches, but they are a bit smaller than mine, and have seen 2 years of abuse, whereas mine are just new. The guy at the Oakley Store was quite puzzled when I pointed these lines out to him and couldn't really know what to say. Still thinking whether to send them back for a refund or keep them.

On another note, as "the piper" suggested above, the SI Twenty could be a good deal, as it comes with matte black frame (grey lens). So if I end up returning the polished black, I'd be very interested in getting the SI version. Do the SI versions differ in quality from retail Oakleys? And what's the best source to purchase them (I have no eligible relatives or friends)? Are "Patriot Outfitters" (which sell the SI Twenty) legit?

Most are scalping SI pairs for a good amount of profit, which is against Oakley policy. Trouble is there's no telling exactly how they're getting their pairs and how poorly it effects the availability of the glasses to troops in warzones, police, EMS, etc.

On almost all frames there will be faint scratches on the left and right side of the front of the frame. This is from the manufacturing process and from what I'm told it's to deter counterfeits.

Thanks, this is the kind of psychological reassurance that I've been waiting for :dance3:

It's just that I never noticed them before and these two scratches seemed too obvious when I first unpacked my new glasses. I guess I can live with them. Btw, I went to my local O Store in Chicago again this morning, and checked once more the three pairs of Twenty polished black frames they had in stock: very similar scratches on all. Moreover, the grey smoke (polarized iridium) Twenty they had in stock also had the scratches, though they were a bit smaller. I also called Oakley's customer service on the phone this morning, and they rep had no idea what I was talking about.

On almost all frames there will be faint scratches on the left and right side of the front of the frame. This is from the manufacturing process and from what I'm told it's to deter counterfeits.

I bought a pair of Oakley Holbrook Polarized polished black/grey lens from Sunglass Hut on Saturday. Of course, they sold me the display model as they always do (and did not give me an Oakley box either..). As soon as I got them home and had the lights on, I noticed two scratches on each side located near where the metal bolts are. They are not identical shape scratches though. I am assuming this must be a manufacturing issue because seeing this thread and a few others in my search it seems quite common. It was frustrating me because I thought Sunglass Hut sold me a dodgy pair that someone scratched up, but the lenses are absolutely fine and this is the only place that scratches appear. It can be seen in sunlight but I will have to live with it I think. Does anyone else have polished black Holbrooks and can see these scratches? I was going to try for a replacement but may not be worth my time if they are all like this. I do love the Polished look overall so would rather not go for matte. It is dissapointing though to spend $220 on sunglasses and have little issues like this.

I bought a pair of Oakley Holbrook Polarized polished black/grey lens from Sunglass Hut on Saturday. Of course, they sold me the display model as they always do (and did not give me an Oakley box either..). As soon as I got them home and had the lights on, I noticed two scratches on each side located near where the metal bolts are. They are not identical shape scratches though. I am assuming this must be a manufacturing issue because seeing this thread and a few others in my search it seems quite common. It was frustrating me because I thought Sunglass Hut sold me a dodgy pair that someone scratched up, but the lenses are absolutely fine and this is the only place that scratches appear. It can be seen in sunlight but I will have to live with it I think. Does anyone else have polished black Holbrooks and can see these scratches? I was going to try for a replacement but may not be worth my time if they are all like this. I do love the Polished look overall so would rather not go for matte. It is dissapointing though to spend $220 on sunglasses and have little issues like this.

They're not just on polished black. My grape and smoke Holbrooks share this commonality. I'll have to double-check my matte rootbeer pair and confirm.

Thanks for the responses, it is good to know this is a common issue. I still love the glasses despite this imperfection.

Interesting what u said about Patriot outfitters Oakley told me themself they ship to companies like that they are just bound by a set retail price....usually 10 dollars less than the store version sometomes more...they didn't seem to mind and even suggested tactical gear to me on the phone...I don;t believe the troops are lacking for these but would like to know if they are ...then I'd ask Oakley why they told me that. Our local O store is selling SJ2's and Half jacket 1 si 's in the store...and the gascan s was just on the Vault as well as a polarized si HJ 1....a guy from one of those places called Oakley while I was on hold so they are most certainly shipping to these places...They are getting at least some of their supply from oakley.
Edit: Rust if thats true I feel bad I specifically called O about this and they say they have such a surplus they usually end up at Vaults...I asked O person abt troops and he gave me reply above...

Latest Posts

Back