• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

"Scratches" On The Jupiter Squared Part Of The Design?

Mevon

Oakley Beginner
I went to buy a pair of Jupiter Squared sunglasses today. On the first pair i looked at I spotted some pretty deep scratches on the framing, on both sides of the lenses. I was convinced that this couldn't be a part of the design, but then i looked at the other pair they had at the store and they seemed to have scratches in the exact same place.

I have marked out the position of the scratches in the picture below. As you can see, they aren't even symmetrical. Are they really suppose to be there, or is this just a huge coincidence?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that is 100% normal and any polished frame finish will have these scratches. I've been told numerous things, that 1) it comes from the molding during production of the frames and 2) it helps detect counterfeits.

Yeah I have 2 pairs of Frogs with a scratch on the upper corner of the right hand side. Was a tad annoyed at first when i saw it because I was really careful with them then I read about it here.

What Batwolf said, it's from the molding process. You'll find the same marks on Frogskins and Holbrooks.

Yep, they are just mold lines. Most black frames are not painted, Oakley either uses a black or white base for solid colored frames, so you'll be able to see them as that's how they come out of the mold. On painted frames they are typically less obvious, but still visible if you look hard enough.

Thanks for this! I sell Oakley's and was tired of giving discounts to people for what I had believed to be messed up frames... Now I can go about business as normal!

Back