• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

See a Penny pick it up....

SNAFU

I should Work at Oakley
Australia
I'd always been more interested in Juliet's but as we all do I was browsing around local listings a little while ago and came across one for a X-metal/Ruby Penny. It was supposedly in very good condition but did not have a serial or the box/coin and the guys price was pretty high (about $670 US) so I thought i'd make an offer.......which was less than half his asking price, he countered was a price that was still to high but more realistic, more importantly it showed he was open to negotiation and that he knew it was priced high to begin with.

We went back and forth but settled on a price that was a little higher than I had wanted but was around what they were actually worth. He also included a set of Fire Iridium replacement lenses they came in a incorrect box but the colouring and tint match my other Fire Iridium lenses so if they not factory i'd think they're custom cut from factory lenses.

It finally arrived yesterday and i was nervous opening them as these don't pop up often over here and are generally overpriced and/or in average condition. Well when I did manage to open the package and remove these from the soft vault I was very pleased they are in perfect condition!! the nose bridge is nice and tight (just tuned up by Oakley according to the seller, the lenses are scratch free and are a very nice colour of Ruby. The extra set of Fire Iridium are also unmarked and in perfect condition.

_DSC5529 copy.jpg
_DSC5530 copy.jpg
_DSC5531 copy.jpg
_DSC5532 copy.jpg
_DSC5533 copy.jpg

I also had a pair of Gen II Plasma/Emerald arrive recently which are serialised but unfortunately when it arrived the box didn't match and wasn't even for the same colourway but the frame and lenses were perfect.

_DSC5534 copy.jpg

The finish is much more of a matte finish that my later gen plasma and I really like it with the Emerald Iridium and think it looks great. The finish isn't worn but has I guess the best word is "degraded" slightly but it just adds character. The other Plasma/Emerald needs the lens replaced and a tune up and will be getting a facelift and a big change shortly.

_DSC5539 copy.jpg
_DSC5540 copy.jpg

Anyway thanks for checking it out

Incredible pair!!! I'd love to add this penny at some point. Not sure when I'll get that lucky... Seems like I have been on a juliet buying spree as of late... Not complaining ;)

Incredible pair!!! I'd love to add this penny at some point. Not sure when I'll get that lucky... Seems like I have been on a juliet buying spree as of late... Not complaining ;)

Cheers, I was really happy to see that they were in excellent condition when they arrived, they are a little small but think I can still pull them off. Unfortunately due to some unforeseen family stuff this will probably be my last purchase for a month or so as my son needs to go in for surgery and a spot opened up and I want it done straight away so is at our expense, a cool $3000 later......and my slush fund is pretty well depleted for the time being haha

Cheers, I was really happy to see that they were in excellent condition when they arrived, they are a little small but think I can still pull them off. Unfortunately due to some unforeseen family stuff this will probably be my last purchase for a month or so as my son needs to go in for surgery and a spot opened up and I want it done straight away so is at our expense, a cool $3000 later......and my slush fund is pretty well depleted for the time being haha
To bad! And I hope your son makes it through ok! Surgery is never fun... I had hernia surgery last year and it sucked!! Best wishes!

To bad! And I hope your son makes it through ok! Surgery is never fun... I had hernia surgery last year and it sucked!! Best wishes!

Thanks, should make his life easier once it's sorted out anyway.

The X-Metal/Ruby Penny is certainly a cool combo, I doubt i'll get any more as other frames like the Juliet suit me better so i'm glad I got this colourway in such good condition if it ends up being my only pair.

Thanks, should make his life easier once it's sorted out anyway.

The X-Metal/Ruby Penny is certainly a cool combo, I doubt i'll get any more as other frames like the Juliet suit me better so i'm glad I got this colourway in such good condition if it ends up being my only pair.
Totally agree. If I get another penny I'll get this colorway. Not a huge fan of the penny but these look amazing!!

Totally agree. If I get another penny I'll get this colorway. Not a huge fan of the penny but these look amazing!!

I actually really like the angular aggressive styling of the Penny and whilst I feel I can pull off wearing them I do wish they were just a little bigger.