• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sellers Requesting PayPal Friends and Family

My general practice and best practice is always Goods and Services. Keeps everyone honest, friendships can turn sour. I am fine with Paying F&F when I have done repeated business with a member over the past, such as @Chris A Hardaway on custom lenses that I have purchased a few pairs now. I would let your own judgement gut guide you on this. But I usually include the 4% fee for PP to be safe and round up because I am a nice guy, I want my quality product and I want the seller to not feel screwed either.

Its really up to you and the seller at the end of the day. But its best to err on the side of G&S until you have an established relationship in the business side with a seller. Then the two parties can decide how they want to do business going forward.

I use this as an example, I originally used Chris's services through Ebay before I found him on here. Well that was a 15% price hike because of PP and EBay fees combined. Now we do business on lens projects directly on here through PM/IM/Text. Saves him money and me too. As well as more of it goes in his pocket. Just something to consider. I know the caliber of his work the turn around time and the character of him as a seller and vendor even though we have never met. So I am more willing to trust him than another member I have no previous dealings with. Take that bit of information for what its worth.

The rules say G&S only using PayPal for the forum. So I have no problem with that. We do both (all) want to be protected. But many people know me now and would rather save 4%... I'll offer the discount if they ask for F&F, but my intention would always be 100% satisfaction. Shipping first class mail overseas right now feels a little bothersome, with delays and protections. Luckily the group here is solid and has given extra time w covid delays. @Litos @Atticus @AlanH are all trusted members in my book and I appreciate all the support (and jokes) they've sent my way.

If you are new or not G&S is always recommended, especially by the @OakleyBoss

Last edited:
The rules say G&S only using PayPal for the forum. So I have no problem with that. We do both (all) want to be protected. But baby people know me now and would rather save 4%... I'll offer the discount if F&F, but my intention would always be 100% satisfaction. Shipping first class mail overseas right now feels a little bothersome, with delays and protections. Luckily the group here is solid and has given extra time w covid delays. @Litos @Atticus @AlanH are all trusted members in my book and I appreciate all the support (and jokes) they've sent my way.

If you are new or not G&S is always recommended, especially by the @OakleyBoss

I’ve never had any business dealings with you directly, but I can trust that you’ll chop the **** out of those lenses.

This is a rough subject. I was doing G&S before I got ripped off. Made to feel comfortable with other purchases then got asked to do F&F. Got taken advantage of the moment I did it. Of course, that was a guy with a criminal record, and that should have been a red flag. But 'others' told me I could trust said criminal. That didn't work out at all for me. Hahaha.
So I started sending G&S even with guys I did business with before, with me paying the PP fee. Keeps the seller happy, and eases my mind at the same time.

This is a rough subject. I was doing G&S before I got ripped off. Made to feel comfortable with other purchases then got asked to do F&F. Got taken advantage of the moment I did it. Of course, that was a guy with a criminal record, and that should have been a red flag. But 'others' told me I could trust said criminal. That didn't work out at all for me. Hahaha.
So I started sending G&S even with guys I did business with before, with me paying the PP fee. Keeps the seller happy, and eases my mind at the same time.
Was the name on a trusted seller list by @cacatman ? :)

Interesting. When dealing within Europe, I mostly use ff... or just a bank account transfer. Only on lower value items though, definitely no "4 digit transacations". :-D It lacks the protection, but most of the times it's okay. Sometimers however. the goods are less than advertized and then you have nu legal right or cancelling the order.

However, one could argue that pp gs is just a pricey insurance. You only need to insure that which you cannot afford to repay, correct?

I was not entirely aware of the gs rule until recently a buyer brought it to my attention. Aware now. :)

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back