• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Selling - what's "fair?"

Frogskins

I am Jim Jannard...
New Jersey
I guess this is one of those questions where the answer is, “whatever someone is willing to pay.”

But since this is a forum and “scalping” is not allowed, sometimes I have to wonder, what’s considered “fair” and what’s considered “greed” or “scalping.”

Let me phrase my question another way …

Supposed there is a pair of glasses that you want that are only available at a specific location, how much would you expect to pay another member to go through the trouble of buying them on your behalf and then shipping them to you?

Let’s use a specific, made up example …

A pair of Oakleys cost $150.00 at a specific O store.

Someone buys them and posts them for sale on the dreaded eBay for $250.00.

No problem … if they sell, they sell. If they’re overpriced, they won’t. Economics 101.

However, same scenario but they’re posted on the forum (almost $100 above cost.)

Greedy member, or just "Business 101?"

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this ...

Well IMO we on here pretty much know what they are worth and unless it is something discontinued and hard to come by no one is going to buy said item.

Its a fine line when scalping is concerned. If someone gets a romeo 1 on craigslist for 100 bucks and decides to sell them here for 400 is that wrong. 400 is a great price so most of us would jump on it.

Its a fine line when scalping is concerned. If someone gets a romeo 1 on craigslist for 100 bucks and decides to sell them here for 400 is that wrong. 400 is a great price so most of us would jump on it.
Good point atrain, and I agree with you.

But using your example (and of course this is pretend cause it will never happen ...)

The Oakley Vault at Texas has tons of Romeos for $100.00; they're only available there.

So you buy them all and sell them to the members here for $400 each.

Everyone knows that they're available there for $100, but your price is $400.00.

Are you a scalper taking advantage of the forum members, or are you a shrewd business man?

There is nothing wrong with scalping here. In fact, there's no such thing as "scalping" in a used marketplace such as this one. If some nut wants to try and sell black Frogskins for $600, let him. They won't sell, and lower prices will prevail. Supply and demand, ECO 102.

If someone managed to buy all the remaining pairs of a certain desirable frame and sell them for an outrageous cost, that's unfair, but still legal.

If a price is outrageous, no one's being forced to buy anything. It's a waiting game, something better always comes along.

There is nothing wrong with scalping here. In fact, there's no such thing as "scalping" in a used marketplace such as this one. If some nut wants to try and sell black Frogskins for $600, let him. They won't sell, and lower prices will prevail. Supply and demand, ECO 102.

If someone managed to buy all the remaining pairs of a certain desirable frame and sell them for an outrageous cost, that's unfair, but still legal.

If a price is outrageous, no one's being forced to buy anything. It's a waiting game, something better always comes along.

This.

i don't think there is a defined answer.

I know people on here offer to help out other members and only ask for a small upcharge and no issue with that. other people want to make $$$ any way they can

I feel that it is up to the selling individual and the buyers if i felt someone was "scalping" i would not buy from that person, if they are currently avlaiable i might reach to another member in that area to see if they would help me out for a processing fee.

I belive in the selling rules it says not to sell limiteds while still avliable in stores.

Good point atrain, and I agree with you.

But using your example (and of course this is pretend cause it will never happen ...)

The Oakley Vault at Texas has tons of Romeos for $100.00; they're only available there.

So you buy them all and sell them to the members here for $400 each.

Everyone knows that they're available there for $100, but your price is $400.00.

Are you a scalper taking advantage of the forum members, or are you a shrewd business man?

Well I guess it depends on the person buying them. If it was a known deal and I was the middle man for others I would give them that deal. Its difficult to say.

Personally (and this is just me, I'm not condemning or condoning others' actions) I have a job that pays well, I don't need to play Oakleys as commodities. Covering a few bucks is one thing, but profiting several times over investment isn't my style.

If I bought Romeos for $100 I'd probably sell them for no more than $150 if it was my intention to flip them. More than likely I would trade them at first for much closer to their true value, then sell them off. Is trading like that just as bad? Maybe, but somehow it feels less like a slimy used car salesman.

I have bought items for members from US stores that are much cheaper or not available internationally. I charged what I paid. I might have made a few bucks overestimating shipping costs, I might have lost a few bucks in fees and taxes, but whatever.

You'll notice a lot of members here don't post what they paid when they got a "score" or great deal from CraigsList or eBay. Some of it is because posting prices like that is sometimes bragging, sometimes can negatively effect other board members trying to sell similar pairs. But I think more and more it's because when that member turns around to flip them they don't want someone lowballing or goffing at their sale price when it's known they paid a substantial amount less.

i don't think there is a defined answer.

I know people on here offer to help out other members and only ask for a small upcharge and no issue with that. other people want to make $$$ any way they can

I feel that it is up to the selling individual and the buyers if i felt someone was "scalping" i would not buy from that person, if they are currently avlaiable i might reach to another member in that area to see if they would help me out for a processing fee.

I belive in the selling rules it says not to sell limiteds while still avliable in stores.

True I gave 702 $50 for helping me get my Tron Pitboss.

Back