• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Serials .... continued so a few more queries

MdVOakleyFreak

I should Work at Oakley
Hello experts (that is you lot the fellow OF members) ... LOL I have a few queries (likely to have been asked before) regarding serials here they come:
  • what are low serials? where does the low range end and the non-low range start?
  • are low serials really worth more than higher ones or is it an attempt for greedy people to rip off other collectors?
  • I have a box that has a barcode recording the SKU but no serial whilst the frame has a serial. Been told that is likely to be a warranty. Is that the case? any other reasons why occasionally box barcodes don't record the serial?
  • what is the deal with warranty frames? I have another serialised juliet that went back to Oakley (pre-luxotica) and was returned to me with a box with a weird number recorded on it (see pic) not matching the serial on the frame ... this was also from a time before I know what serials were 🤪 and the "new" serial is pretty low LOL

oops trigger happy - now with pic - thanks for any answers / guidance.
IMG_0196.JPG

I am going to jump in cause I am bored. I do not know that much, but will give you my thoughts on what I can.
Low serials, what ever you want to call low, can be only your opinion I guess. I have a pair of Juliets J##1575. I do not think that is low. There is a low serial thread, someone listed their 30,000 something as low. So......
If you talk to @Smiley he will have his opinion of low, and may not be someone elses.

I think low numbers can effect the cost, for someone that is interested in low numbers, some members are not.

Greedy people do not rip of collectors, price is what ever someone wants to pay. If you want something bad enough, you pay, would you feel ripped off? If you do, you should not have purchased. ( that goes with out saying, that the product is as stated.)

SKU and serial are not the same. A stock-keeping unit (SKU) is a scannable bar code, most often seen printed on product labels in a retail store.

As far as the other questions, no help here. I am sure others will pipe in. I believe most of this information can be found on the forum with a little bit of research. Pretty much every topic is covered on this well informed forum.
Cheers

Well low serials some collectors like to collect, I don’t really think anything above 2 would be worth more then any other pair, the 1st one would be just cause it’s #1 lol but some people think low serials tripled the price.

Now for certain serials like the 1st Gen x-metal Juliets with ruby, some say the first 5000 have the better ruby color, which later serials had just or better color, but it was hit or miss due to the process of making the lenses

as for your box with no serial, warranty frames came blank on the arm or if you did a custom or RX color way, they did not serialize them. Now, you getting glasses back serialized they most likely just threw it in a box and sent to you, they did that allot hence the Brown Juliet mix up of boxes lol

Hello experts (that is you lot the fellow OF members) ... LOL I have a few queries (likely to have been asked before) regarding serials here they come:
  • what are low serials? where does the low range end and the non-low range start?
  • are low serials really worth more than higher ones or is it an attempt for greedy people to rip off other collectors?
  • I have a box that has a barcode recording the SKU but no serial whilst the frame has a serial. Been told that is likely to be a warranty. Is that the case? any other reasons why occasionally box barcodes don't record the serial?
  • what is the deal with warranty frames? I have another serialised juliet that went back to Oakley (pre-luxotica) and was returned to me with a box with a weird number recorded on it (see pic) not matching the serial on the frame ... this was also from a time before I know what serials were 🤪 and the "new" serial is pretty low LOL

1. Low serials are subjective. You may think C001234 is low but I’d say it’s not low till C000099

2. Again subjective. I wouldn’t pay any more for C000099 than I would for C001234. But I would pay a lot more for C000420. Greedy people will know that and take advantage of it.

3. The box probably does have a serial, it just doesn’t match. Stores got them mixed up a lot of the time. Did it come from SGH? They were the worst.

4. Warranty frames are just that. Warranty replacements. They used the W serial prefix to identify them. That box you pictured has no serial. Just a label for later gen Ducati juliet.

Thanks guys for some answers so far.

Greedy people do not rip of collectors, price is what ever someone wants to pay. If you want something bad enough, you pay, would you feel ripped off? If you do, you should not have purchased. ( that goes with out saying, that the product is as stated.)
I was not trying to accuse anyone from being greedy but trying to make a point by a potentially controversial statement. Personally I would not pay more for #00023 as opposed to #02345 so as you already suggested it is what a person is willing to pay. The sceptic in me however sees it as a marketing trick to up the value for sales/profit purposes. That's just my personal opinion and is a sign of my age - grumpy old fart.

3. The box probably does have a serial, it just doesn’t match. Stores got them mixed up a lot of the time. Did it come from SGH? They were the worst.
So to help you all with what I consider the missing serial ... here it is.
95260795_2344321805876747_9126538876725231616_n.jpg

4. Warranty frames are just that. Warranty replacements. They used the W serial prefix to identify them. That box you pictured has no serial. Just a label for later gen Ducati juliet.
I made the assumption (yes I know assumptions are the mother of all F ups) that the lower barcode always would follow the format SKU followed by Serial. In this case I was interpreting L0000004 as serial. If it isn't a serial what does the number represent?

Thanks guys for some answers so far.

I was not trying to accuse anyone from being greedy but trying to make a point by a potentially controversial statement. Personally I would not pay more for #00023 as opposed to #02345 so as you already suggested it is what a person is willing to pay. The sceptic in me however sees it as a marketing trick to up the value for sales/profit purposes. That's just my personal opinion and is a sign of my age - grumpy old fart.

So to help you all with what I consider the missing serial ... here it is.
View attachment 735915

I made the assumption (yes I know assumptions are the mother of all F ups) that the lower barcode always would follow the format SKU followed by Serial. In this case I was interpreting L0000004 as serial. If it isn't a serial what does the number represent?

That box is for a discontinued Finito. I never saw that lol. I guess they said **** it on the serial.

The L number on the other box means something internally to oakley but I have no idea what. I’ve seen M numbers there too.

That box is for a discontinued Finito. I never saw that lol. I guess they said **** it on the serial.

The L number on the other box means something internally to oakley but I have no idea what. I’ve seen M numbers there too.
Yes, have never seen a box label such as that.

Latest Posts

Back