• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Servicing/modding x-metals

Carrera1963

Lover of Juliet
Premium Member
UK
So, whilst waiting for some lenses to come in, I got to thinking which frame to put them in. But I'm happy with all my current set-ups so it would have to be a new one. You'd think, with that many pairs there'd be one or two I'd fancy changing up a bit, but no, couldn't find a candidate.

I was able to source an x-metal frame, just frame, temple shocks and arm screws.

Gaskets and orbital screws have been ordered from Linegear, but I have rubber kits around so have just put nose bombs and ear socks on.

Now I'm not the most practical person, I'm paid to work with my mind more than my hands, but I do enjoy fiddling with the x-metals. Changing lenses in particular I have done to a fine art, ear socks even with hand sanitiser I still think could be easier, but I like the process. I don't do it for the sake of it but I enjoy it.

Anyone else?

Why use hand sanitizer for the ear socks? Wouldn't the alcohol break down the rubber? I use a small amount of hand soap then rinse well with cold water to get as much soap off as possible.

Why use hand sanitizer for the ear socks? Wouldn't the alcohol break down the rubber? I use a small amount of hand soap then rinse well with cold water to get as much soap off as possible.

No, it doesn't. If anything, it helps clean them, if they aren't already.

The idea behind using gel hand sanitizer instead of soap is that the alcohol will evaporate completely and leave zero residue. While you'll never be able to rinse out every single bit of soap residue under the socks.

So, whilst waiting for some lenses to come in, I got to thinking which frame to put them in. But I'm happy with all my current set-ups so it would have to be a new one. You'd think, with that many pairs there'd be one or two I'd fancy changing up a bit, but no, couldn't find a candidate.

I was able to source an x-metal frame, just frame, temple shocks and arm screws.

Gaskets and orbital screws have been ordered from Linegear, but I have rubber kits around so have just put nose bombs and ear socks on.

Now I'm not the most practical person, I'm paid to work with my mind more than my hands, but I do enjoy fiddling with the x-metals. Changing lenses in particular I have done to a fine art, ear socks even with hand sanitiser I still think could be easier, but I like the process. I don't do it for the sake of it but I enjoy it.

Anyone else?

Personally, no. I mean I'm a handy guy and I don't mind it, but I prefer to take them apart / put them back together the least number of times that's practical. Don't really know why, maybe some part of me is afraid of damaging something (mark a lens, strip a screw, bend a stem, split a rubber...)

Personally, no. I mean I'm a handy guy and I don't mind it, but I prefer to take them apart / put them back together the least number of times that's practical. Don't really know why, maybe some part of me is afraid of damaging something (mark a lens, strip a screw, bend a stem, split a rubber...)

I am an aircraft mechanic by trade... we have a saying "If it aint broke, fix it till it is".

Personally, no. I mean I'm a handy guy and I don't mind it, but I prefer to take them apart / put them back together the least number of times that's practical.
That's pretty much what I meant when I said I don't do it for the sake of it. But when something does need doing, I like doing it - changing lenses most of all, I have that down to a pretty slick operation now.

You guys are kidding ,right? Undoing two screws ,taking a lens out, putting a lens in and then doing up two screws - down to a fine art ?
Did you take night classes? Is there a special training program.?
For fcuks sake go and see a movie or something!

Haw,Haw,Haw - only kiddin.....................but come on.:):):)

Back