• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Servicing/modding x-metals

You guys are kidding ,right? Undoing two screws ,taking a lens out, putting a lens in and then doing up two screws - down to a fine art ?
Did you take night classes? Is there a special training program.?
For fcuks sake go and see a movie or something!

Haw,Haw,Haw - only kiddin.....................but come on.:):):)
Never said it was brain surgery, but there is satisfaction in doing a simple job well. Part of changing a lens is getting the gasket just so - how many have you seen back to front or rotated away from the groove that receives the lens?

I never really hesitated to disassemble a pair, though I did use one of my first pairs that took quite a beating to become comfortable with the process in general. I took them apart and put them back together a few times. This got me used to taking them apart and putting them back together without risking a LNIB pair. To me, once you have broken down a pair and reassembled them a couple of times, nose bridge and pins optional, the rest is just making sure you have the right tools and are paying attention :)

For the rubbers I never use any hand sanitized, soap, etc... to install. I just use a bag or microfiber cloth to ease them on. I have never had a problem doing this. I did try with my bare hands a couple of times and would not recommend that unless you like blisters. Once the rubbers have been installed once or twice no lube should be needed as they slip on and off much easier.

Regarding the gaskets - nothing special required except a steady hand and some patience. If I am short on either I put it down and come back later. It is not difficult to ascertain the orientation of gaskets that are not symmetrical. Any Yes... Unfortunately I have received a few pairs with backwards gaskets - or the wrong gaskets all together. This is just people not paying attention to what they are doing. I have received Juliets with XX orbital gaskets, other pairs with no gaskets at all. It happens.

My biggest problem seems to be that I get a pair together and when I get inspired I can't tell if I am more or less inspired now [with the new/proposed colorway] than I was when I was inspired with the existing/current setup? I would say at least half of the time I swap out lenses or rubbers I wind up putting the previous ones back on... Ironically the last couple of lens and rubber swaps I have done have been on Mars, which require a bit more ease with the C-clips as I try to use them at least a couple of times.

I'd say I do enjoy the process of changing things out and "messing" with my xmetals, but I try to not do it too much. That being said,when I have new lenses coming I do get excited to change them up. I start planning out the rubber and whether to change the color, it is almost as exciting as getting a new pair! I did recently get a Mars and I am hesitant to deal with those clips... Oh and those tiny clear washers, no fun there!

I enjoy the rebuild process I have to say. An old or used pair arriving in the post , requiring a full clean and new components. It's definitely satisfying bringing a pair back to life. I also enjoy my seasonal change, from a low transmission lens to a vr28 or slate setup. I only wish they were available for the XX which I am slowly slipping towards these days as a preferred choice. I may be having to place an order or 2 shortly to any willing cutters out there :) But on topic, yes I do enjoy a switch around !!

Yeah, those Mars c-clamps are a real pain in the @ss and the original ones break too easily. If I had to play devil's advocate and list the design flaws with my beloved x-metals, they'd be (in order from worst to least):

1) Fragile Half-X spring hinges
2) R1 flex stress point / lens cracking
3) MARS C-CLAMPS!
4) 24K XX gold paint flaking
5) Rivet pins to secure flex coupler (something they finally fixed with the XS)
6) Too short earstems on the XS

Last edited:
I enjoy the rebuild process I have to say. An old or used pair arriving in the post , requiring a full clean and new components. It's definitely satisfying bringing a pair back to life. I also enjoy my seasonal change, from a low transmission lens to a vr28 or slate setup. I only wish they were available for the XX which I am slowly slipping towards these days as a preferred choice. I may be having to place an order or 2 shortly to any willing cutters out there :) But on topic, yes I do enjoy a switch around !!

Sounds like me reading this. Love bring old pairs to life, love seasonal lens changes, love slate, moving towards XX these days, just commissioned a slate XX chop from IH. Did I write this post?

Sounds like me reading this. Love bring old pairs to life, love seasonal lens changes, love slate, moving towards XX these days, just commissioned a slate XX chop from IH. Did I write this post?
Great to hear it's not just me with the XX :) it's a stunning frame in every way and fits like a glove with perfect coverage.

Great to hear it's not just me with the XX :) it's a stunning frame in every way and fits like a glove with perfect coverage.
Absolutely - that extra coverage is excellent. The fit is so good. Just wish there were more around for sale! What ones do you have? I just bought my first a few weeks ago - XX BI.

To stay n topic though, I love servicing new purchases but HATE it when I take off the rubber to reveal the oily gunbk of a previous owner who smoked! Has happened twice to me and reminds me very much why I quit!

What's all this about seasonal lens changes? Don't you just buy another frame and mount the other lens separately? Isn't that how it works?

Or is it just me and that explains how I'm sitting on 33 pairs of Juliets?!!

Back