• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shaun White Signature Series

M0NTY26

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys, I've never been a collector of Oakleys, just a huge fan. Not only for their glasses, but their brand, entirely.

That said, when it comes to their glasses, I usually only buy one pair annually (although since finding this site on the 27th trying to find info on the goldbrooks, I've bought 4 new glasses lol). The Shaun White series might change my ways though since I have a mancrush on him lol. In all honesty though, I only like the holbrooks and the frogs. I love the style of the dispatch, but I'm not crazy about Shaun's. I just bought the Wilson dispatch, so I'd probably never reach for Shaun's over his. Then, I like the front view of the eyepatch 2, but the stems are to big for my liking and I really don't like the stems on the plaintiffs, plus they just aren't my style.

So, that breaks it down to me really only liking 6 of the 9 in his series and for someone that's never been a collector, it's hard for me to wrap my head around owning glasses I wouldn't wear. BUT, since I like Oakley and White so much, if this is a worthwhile series to collect, I think I'd be down to get them all. I know these aren't going to be a rare, oh-my-god-you-have-those, collection, but I'm asking you experts here if it's a worthwhile collection.

I already own the SGH exclusives and I'm getting the frogs (24K) in the mail this week. I plan on getting the goldbrooks and I almost got the white holbrooks over the clear, bc I did like them more, but I already own some white gascans, plus I've never owned any clear Oakleys, so I wanted a pair, but I'm definitely going to get the white ones, eventually.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

Being a collector isn't about having something that's rare or what someone else likes or considers to be cool. If you like the collection, you should go for it and be proud to own them. If you only like a few of the pieces, just be proud to own those. There's no point in owning them all if you don't like them.

Comparatively speaking, i love the Infinite Hero Split Jackets, but don't like anything else in that line. So i'm happy with owning one piece of that collection.

Do what makes you happy and not what others think.

Good point. I guess when I hear 'collector' I relate it to my hockey cards, where you collect entire series. I guess that more for if you ever decide to sell your set, you get more money if you have the entire set. I just need to disassociate the term collect with oakleys, even then I'm sure some people out there do collect them with that mentality.

Well said SpliceD.

Yea collecting is about buying pairs that you like and being proud of what you own. Everyone has to start somewhere too. I personally only collect frogskins and holbrooks, but I have single pairs of other models because I think they're cool. I wear flak jackets daily since they are low-key enough to wear in the military, I have a pair of gascans I wear from time to time, and I am waiting on my infinite hero split jackets because those just look badass. I think your idea of collecting the Shaun Whites is cool. I know some people who only collect the Ducati series even if some of the models aren't the models they particularly like.

Keep us posted on your growing collection, and welcome to the boards :p

Good point. I guess when I hear 'collector' I relate it to my hockey cards, where you collect entire series. I guess that more for if you ever decide to sell your set, you get more money if you have the entire set. I just need to disassociate the term collect with oakleys, even then I'm sure some people out there do collect them with that mentality.

This is true too. You can buy the whole set and it might be worth more as a whole later down the line, but that goes with any collection of a set. You have to find a buyer for it to be worth anything, right?

I picked up both the Tron 3D Gascan and the Tron Pit Boss. Would they be worth a lot more sold together? Maybe. But i'm not interested in selling them because i love both frames and intend to keep them. I even went and bought a Blu Ray copy of the movie so i can put that in the display as well :laugh:

Again, do what makes you happy :smile:

We're all "collectors" here and i'm sure it's pretty safe to say we're always willing to help out however we can.

Latest Posts

Back