• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shield lenses with RX inserts. So sad

maRXc

Oakley Beginner
Hi there! Can anyone recommend an Oakley for mountain biking that is available with prescription? I'm a huge fan of the shield lenses (I started with the Mumbo a long time ago) but they are practically unavailable with RX.

To be honest, I think Oakley's RX strategy for shield lenses is a total failure. They used to do such cool things back in the early 1990s with the orange and blue inserts in grey M-Frame lenses. Loved that and bought Oakleys ever since. Now almost three decades later they offer clear, grey and black only. Even the VR28 option is gone. Not a single contrast enhancing tint. Who at Oakley decided not to offer the Prizm tints? Why? I simply don't get it. That's a shame. You can't even get a Flight Jacket lens with RX and I can't see why it's possible on the Jawbreaker then. After all it's two holes cut into a shield and two lenses are inserted. Or am I missing something?

Oakley's customer service used to be ace many years ago. Back then they would forward a message to some product manager who would reply, but now they only send you text blocks telling you to buy Flak 2.0 instead.

I don't want to rant and I don't want to be mean. I'm just a long time customer who's willing to pay an insane amount for Oakleys with shield lenses and RX inserts in Prizm Trail and Low Light for example. But they won't let me. I have sworn to never buy another brand and to never wear contact lenses again. It seems one of these two vows will be broken.

I'd really like to know what you guys think. Am I the only one who disapproves the current situation?

Thanks,
Marc

Hi there! Can anyone recommend an Oakley for mountain biking that is available with prescription? I'm a huge fan of the shield lenses (I started with the Mumbo a long time ago) but they are practically unavailable with RX.

To be honest, I think Oakley's RX strategy for shield lenses is a total failure. They used to do such cool things back in the early 1990s with the orange and blue inserts in grey M-Frame lenses. Loved that and bought Oakleys ever since. Now almost three decades later they offer clear, grey and black only. Even the VR28 option is gone. Not a single contrast enhancing tint. Who at Oakley decided not to offer the Prizm tints? Why? I simply don't get it. That's a shame. You can't even get a Flight Jacket lens with RX and I can't see why it's possible on the Jawbreaker then. After all it's two holes cut into a shield and two lenses are inserted. Or am I missing something?

Oakley's customer service used to be ace many years ago. Back then they would forward a message to some product manager who would reply, but now they only send you text blocks telling you to buy Flak 2.0 instead.

I don't want to rant and I don't want to be mean. I'm just a long time customer who's willing to pay an insane amount for Oakleys with shield lenses and RX inserts in Prizm Trail and Low Light for example. But they won't let me. I have sworn to never buy another brand and to never wear contact lenses again. It seems one of these two vows will be broken.

I'd really like to know what you guys think. Am I the only one who disapproves the current situation?

Thanks,
Marc

Oakley isn’t/hasn’t been the oakley you’re referring to for a long time

I believe the jawbreaker, Radar EV and m2 can be done in RX with inserts but only black or clear. No more fun colors :/ the inserts honestly looked so cool back then

Um, yes, that‘s what I said. Sorry for the long text :grin:

So there is no workaround? No one cuts Prizm shields and inserts Prizm lenses? I mean the material exists and the only problem is Oakley doesn’t offer this combination - for whatever reason only god knows …

Um, yes, that‘s what I said. Sorry for the long text :grin:

So there is no workaround? No one cuts Prizm shields and inserts Prizm lenses? I mean the material exists and the only problem is Oakley doesn’t offer this combination - for whatever reason only god knows …
Plenty of folks cut and insert Prizm lenses, the problem is, there has to be donor to be cut from, which are usually the same curvature and larger than the destination. Question is, what common lens would serve as a donor to the Shield? (especially for Trail and Low Light).

It's not like any of these folks converting lenses to other frames are melting down the materials or anything, they're cutting pre-existing lens material.

Plenty of folks cut and insert Prizm lenses, the problem is, there has to be donor to be cut from, which are usually the same curvature and larger than the destination. Question is, what common lens would serve as a donor to the Shield? (especially for Trail and Low Light).

It's not like any of these folks converting lenses to other frames are melting down the materials or anything, they're cutting pre-existing lens material.

Snow goggles are great donors for shield cuts

I'm really sorry for the late reply!

If I understood it correctly, I'd have to order some "existing" lenses that can be cut and inserted into a standard shield with the same cut. That would be awesome and give the freedom I want — to combine any colored shield lens with any colored RX inserts. I'd love to see some examples of these cuts, do you know of any?

Thanks so much for sharing that. Who are these plenty of folks and how can I find them? Are there any in Europe?

Back