• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shill bidding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people get caught up in “winning” and end up paying more in a no reserve auction...sometimes.

Exactly this.

I think there is zero doubt he has the items and they are in the condition he describes, but it's really obvious that the seller drums up interest for an item by constantly increasing the bids and looks to hook a fish at a price he wants to sell at (higher than what the market will normally bare), whatever that is. Auction is coming to a close and he gets to that point, he collects the money, ships the item, and gets positive feedback. Hasn't gotten to that price? No problem. Just use a shill account to make sure you are the top bidder, request to cancel the sale, and no negative feedback. Just recast the line (relist) and try again.

When his final sale prices all end up WAY higher than any similar listings, and anything remotely approaching reasonable get relisted after the auction ends, there is no other reasonable explanation.

I bought 2x pairs from that guy. One I waited for 5 seconds to bid and the other I had to bid because I worked at the time. I got an email saying I was outbid and then another email saying the bid was retracted. When I checked “somebody” bid me within $5 of my max price...
How does one retract their bid on eBay? I was always under the impression the bids were final.

There’s some gems on eBay I’ve been eyeing from a specific seller and the bids have raised a lot of these pairs well above what they typically sell for... some have pairs listed and yet the auction is over what you could buy the pair outright at. I’m just curious what the collective thought is on the auctions? Are they being shill bid to drive price up or do you guys think they are actually going for those prices?
I've seen this in other eBay auctions as well, not just Oakley listings.

Here an example from one of his auctions:
This person has 450 bids, 100% with Joe.
Bid on 73 items?

30-Day Summary
Total bids:
Items bid on:
Bid activity (%) with this seller:
100%
View attachment 788124
Bid retractions:
Bid retractions (6 months):

thats highly illegal. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.