• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Shocktube? I don't get it...

I wouldn't describe it at "non-functional" but it does fall short of being a top option for a dedicated purpose. It's silly, but something that grows on me. Really exists just to...exist.

My pair has become an enjoyable daily wearer. Originally, I had complaints that the bottom corners were digging into my cheek. Discussion at O-Review prescribed the pair generally being pitch forward, and that led me to accepting the idea that the brow simply isn't meant to sit as flush as other pairs. With that, the fit made more sense to me. Opening at the brow is pretty much the ventilation with the pair. Light leaks aren't a thing unless you look for them.

They're definitely functional in the sense that they serve practical in many active situations. Earsocks+AF pads make them good for cycling as much as the Jawbone. Ventilation, wind blocking, and security are no different to me. Depending on your face, you may not even need the measures I mentioned. But in all, while you could use a Shocktube for cycling, you would not buy a Shocktube for cycling. Same goes with shooting vs. an M-Frame. I think people are making a mistake in comparing it so critically to the Jawbone and Split Jacket. Similar features and cues, somewhat comparable fit, but not the same concept. Of course in casual use, it does appear as a Jawbone alternative.

The Shocktube is better fitting in the now-defunct "Active" category with the Turbine/Fives/Valve/Straight, etc — Oakley just generalized them into "Lifestyle" even though they have the tighter wrap and rubber contacts. Seeing things that way, the details and meeting ballistic standards of the Shocktube introduces the excess that people like in Oakley.

Ok so... I just got another pair with Prizm Shooting in convert all black. After wearing them for a period I got to say that this lense combo is freakin awesome. And they are the most comfortable pair I have. If Oakley does not include more option... lenses and so forth ill be o_O

Ok so... I just got another pair with Prizm Shooting in convert all black. After wearing them for a period I got to say that this lense combo is freakin awesome. And they are the most comfortable pair I have. If Oakley does not include more option... lenses and so forth ill be o_O

I just got mine tuesday as well! I wasnt sure at first if I'd like the tr22 but they have grown on me. Def want a nice set of polarized lenses and maybe some tr45s now.

Anyone know if they are discontinuing these? I wanted to get a pair for my birthday, but they have been out of stock for a while now. Just wondering if I should give up hope on waiting for them.

The TR45 is in stock and the Maritime is available as back-order.

As far as discontinuing the others, just email SI and ask.

I've sent multiple emails asking similar questions on other glasses.

They've always been very helpful with ETA to in-stock status.

Back