• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Should I Or Should I Not.

13ThirtySeven

Oakley Beginner
I've got a pair of gloss black Gas Can S that are quite worn, I was contemplating doing a DIY. The right inner orbital is gouged from throwing them on the ground during an argument, nothing the sanding process wont hide. I was thinking possibly a bright green frame and keep the Icons Original running the warm grey lenses untill i pick up some Emerald Iridium.

Heres what I'm working with. I have the right paints and a decent airbrush so I have quite a few colors to choose from but I'm thinking a bright green would be unique and still stylish.

gas_can_s_DIY.jpg

Thoughts anyone? I have today and tomorrow and may start the sanding and swabbing process tonight. I could be painting tomorrow.

Why not, if you're not wearing them now. You could end up with something really cool and if you don't nothing loss except time. I say go for it.

They are in my rotation but seldom except for beach use or high risk usage. So maybe I can put them back into the rotation more if I DIY/Customize. This would make my gloss black fuel cell my high risk glasses, which is ok with me. I think I will sand tonight, and spray tomorrow or possibly wait if If I can't get the right grit sandpapers together.

Not sure about the Gascan S but if they are like the standard Gascans then it might be hard to paint. I painted my Gascans and the paint came out really nice. When I tried to put the lenses back they scraped the paint off the orbitals.

I sold the Gascans right afterwards so I didn't try to repaint but this is what I do to get the arms back on my painted Flaks. Get some Post-it notes and cut them to fit around the area where it might get scraped and stick it to the painted portion. Basically the lens or arm will scrape against the paper from the Post-it and hopefully won't chip or scrape off.

Follow Dr. Chop's advice on painting and it should come out nice. I did a Flak in Mica Blue and so far so good.

Step two removing the icons, with the hot microwaved water technique, worked as explained. I am going to break dr chops rules a bit by scuffing the fames a bit since I wont be using any adhesion promoter. I also have some what deep gouges to deal with and layers of paint wont fill this easily, too much paint = chips and higher possibility of cracking. I plan to shoot theses in a Light almost lime green tonight, or tomorrow, painting when well rested is highly approved. We shall see the results, I'm a decent painter, when it comes to RC cars and I used paint RC toolboxes for friends. I am going to be using a basic airbrush for this project, not a dual action so my results should be decent but not professional.

This is a photo of the icons, out and ready for a light scuffing. this is the backside of the icons they are gunmetal, and I don't plan on modifying them at all.

icons_out.jpg

Past paint project that has a similar finished green I don't know if I will use any clear on the paint or not this is a close example of the green with gloss. I'm going to let the project speak to me on which direction to go. I painted that in my junior year of high school so you can see where I cut my pattern and used silver sharpie for the outline hahahahahah. Mostly for the green to be represented.

past_paint_project.jpg

I'll keep the step by step going, since I worked all day and didn't do this project Sat and Sun like I had hoped.
Any thoughts are well appreciated. Reminder I purchased this pair in 2006 They are OLD and I'm careless with them, I hope to make them a main pair in rotation.

BriP I more than likely will. I have matt clear and gloss clear so maybe a coin flip will make the decision for me. I love to flip a coin to make a decision. The Coin flip told me this project was a go, No best out of three no project so go figure.

Legs are scuffed, now onto the Orbitals and the rest of the frame.

Picture is to show the contrast of the scuffing vs the worn gloss black.

legs_scuffed_1.jpg

Picture 2 of back side of Legs.

legs_scuffed_2.jpg

More to come.

Back