• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Should replica items be allowed in the Exchanges?

Should replicas be allowed

• Yes

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • No never

Votes: 40 62.5%
  • Only if they don’t have the Oakley logo

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
This has come up in the last but would like the community to decide.

Should replica items be allowed in the exchange sections of the forum?

Also I will point out that anyone selling replica items is potentially at risk of violating Oakley trademarks and solely is responsible for the legal ramifications of such. The forum is not involved in the sales nor responsive for any part of the transaction.

One open question I do have - what’s the difference between a fake and a replica? Most that I’ve seen have the O logo.

There are items that some of the OF members make that were never available straight from Oakley. Like the colored MM washers, colored stands, keychains and many more. Personally I feel if it’s an item made by Oakley it shouldn’t be reproduced and sold. If it’s an item designed by the seller or changed like the colored MM washers it should be ok.

Copyright and trademark protected items are just that, Protected. I don’t think that Trophies were trademarked, and the logos were on there but not for public sale, same for employee dog tags. If there are items that were sold by oakley and replicated, the bunker ornament is a good example, it should b altered as not to infringe on the copyright and be put forward as an “artistic interpretation” do we have a lawyer in the house?!?!

there is a weird shift from local to global that makes it seem to be ok... if this conversation happened in 1987, we, likely a smaller group would be, oh heck naw! We wouldn’t dream of stealing credit and getting burned for creating replicas. But now that Oakley is everywhere and is a globally known and recognized brand is it really ok?

I had this sentiment when masks were being printed up with really cool oakley designs. Waaaaay better than what oakley came up with. But that is straight up infringement. Cuz no one is gonna buy that mask if it says Oklaey on it or if it just plain, at least not for what the copiers are charging for.

Last edited:
Copyright and trademark protected items are just that, Protected. I don’t think that Trophies were trademarked, and the logos were on there but not for public sale, same for employee dog tags. If there are items that were sold by oakley and replicated, the bunker ornament is a good example, it should b altered as not to infringe on the copyright and be put forward as an “artistic interpretation” do we have a lawyer in the house?!?!
@beau1890

Back