• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Should We Allow Ebay Links?

Should we allow ebay links?

• Allow ebay links for discussions and exchanges

Votes: 95 84.1%
  • Allow only your own ebay links for exchanges

Votes: 18 15.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say allow discussions, but still quash "Here's a great deal!" threads and posts.

Do what we're doing now but just allow links for fake check, item questions, etc.

And if all links are allowed including deals, perhaps hide links to guests?

I would have to agree. As for it ruining a potential good deal...unless you snap it up BIN right away, I guarantee you aren't the only one watching it.

Oh yeh that is actually part of this, I forgot to mention. You still cannot just post "here's a great deal" thread because that is definately stealing a deal from someone. This is just to establish you can post link for ebay products that you need to fake check or question.

Oh yeh that is actually part of this, I forgot to mention. You still cannot just post "here's a great deal" thread because that is definately stealing a deal from someone. This is just to establish you can post link for ebay products that you need to fake check or question.
I still don't see a point in not allowing a "here's a great deal" thread as that can only apply to a BIN which in most cases will be already snatched up before a thread is even made here. And even if it weren't snatched up, I don't see the harm in posting here to help out a fellow member who would be looking for that particular item.

I dunno. It just seems an awfully self-serving thing to do.

I still don't see a point in not allowing a "here's a great deal" thread as that can only apply to a BIN which in most cases will be already snatched up before a thread is even made here. And even if it weren't snatched up, I don't see the harm in posting here to help out a fellow member who would be looking for that particular item.

I dunno. It just seems an awfully self-serving thing to do.

No, people have posted things that had poor descriptions, bad pics, mis-listed, etc. Basically listings that are off the beaten path. Like a Romeo that comes up from searching "Sunglass steel grey". If it gets posted here it'll go for Romeo prices. If not whoever stumbles on it will likely get it far under retail if even more than one person finds it and knows what it is.

I would love a Romeo, but I can't afford even half of what they go for. If someone else found it and posted it up and created a bid frenzy I'd be mildly upset. It's only glasses, so I won't lose sleep, but it's still not cool.

No, people have posted things that had poor descriptions, bad pics, mis-listed, etc. Basically listings that are off the beaten path. Like a Romeo that comes up from searching "Sunglass steel grey". If it gets posted here it'll go for Romeo prices. If not whoever stumbles on it will likely get it far under retail if even more than one person finds it and knows what it is.

I would love a Romeo, but I can't afford even half of what they go for. If someone else found it and posted it up and created a bid frenzy I'd be mildly upset. It's only glasses, so I won't lose sleep, but it's still not cool.
But aren't we here as a community to provide resources to those who seek it even if they stumble upon it? I think this is part of the reason why some members think the site is not as friendly as before. It's like swimming with sharks more and more each day.

I myself would love a Romeo as well and would absolutely be thrilled to find a cheap one. But finding a cheap one is on me, not anyone else. If I want one that bad, I'd be scouring too but I certainly wouldn't be miffed because someone posted a link here and I missed out. I'm not entitled to a cheap _____ and to say that others shouldn't post anything because it prevents me from getting a cheap _____ seems superficial.

If every deal was posted there'd be none left. I scored an M Frame Slash from ebay for $60. If it had been posted on the forum someone with deep pockets probably would have taken it.

I wanted one, but a lot of the fun of collecting is finding deals so I'm not out thousands on this stuff.

If every deal was posted there'd be none left. I scored an M Frame Slash from ebay for $60. If it had been posted on the forum someone with deep pockets probably would have taken it.

I wanted one, but a lot of the fun of collecting is finding deals so I'm not out thousands on this stuff.
Yeah but let's be honest here. In this forum, how many people do you think don't know what a particular thing they're looking at is? Pretty low, I'd say.

The instances where someone is unsure of a particular item are few. Many already know of O-Review's database and can look it up there. And people who are looking at items with poor descriptions probably already know what they're looking for in the first place.

I think what Rustpot is trying to still say, if you spent an hour looking at random auctions, and you find a misrepresented auction by always checking the sellers other items and that auction gets shared with everyone else that would have never found it or even looked for it, you get screwed on the price. Especially if there is no BIN. Sometimes during the course of an auction it might only get 10 views. If you found that auction, and you never shared it, chances are you are getting it cheap. But one other person sees it, then shares it with a bunch of collectors, and poof! No longer a steal, maybe not a deal.

I think what Rustpot is trying to still say, if you spent an hour looking at random auctions, and you find a misrepresented auction by always checking the sellers other items and that auction gets shared with everyone else that would have never found it or even looked for it, you get screwed on the price. Especially if there is no BIN. Sometimes during the course of an auction it might only get 10 views. If you found that auction, and you never shared it, chances are you are getting it cheap. But one other person sees it, then shares it with a bunch of collectors, and poof! No longer a steal, maybe not a deal.
Again, I'd have to ask how often does this happen? Frequently enough to prevent this forum to run more efficiently? If so, fine. But if these cases happen once in a blue moon, I'd say it seems rather unfitting to not allow the links at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back