• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Show Off Your Dogs (of The K-9 Variety)

Photogenic pooch!

381C784D-5A0A-4B2A-AD77-9835927C5B0C.jpeg

Hey guys, normally not my style, but given a recent scare with my boy, I feel compelled to share somewhat of a PSA..

The other day my 3 year old Australian shepherd, Oakley, got into the garbage and took out a half a corn on the cobb. Dogs will be dogs, and I’ve always been told that they have cast iron stomachs, but forr some reason, this was cause for extra concern. I called around to a few vet friends, who advised me to take him in ASAP. Apparently corn on the Cobb, if ingested, can create a deadly blockage in dogs

As it was the middle of the night, I had to take him to a nearby 24 hour animal hospital. They immediately tried to induce vomit, but Unfortunately, they were unable to get anything to come up. The vet then showed me the X-rays of Oakley’s stomach which clearly showed two large objects in it. She explained that surgery was the only option, as he most likely wouldn’t be able to pass it. And, in the off chance that he was able to digest and pass it, he risked having his small intestine perforated. I was initially skeptical, especially after seeing the bill estimate. However, time was of the essence , seeing as the Cobb hadn’t yet passed to his intestines yet and was still in his stomach, enabling for a much easier surgery. There was an overwhelming chance that once it passed further down his digestive tract, it would become stuck, causing a life threatening blockage. I recalled a similar situation my sister in law had with her pit/lab, who collapsed out of nowhere and almost died as a result. I couldn’t leave the well being of my best friend to chance, so we elected for the overnight surgery.

Suffice it to say, I was a wreck the entire night until the vet called at 5am to let us know that the surgery was successful. He’s home now and recovering. He’ll be confined to the couch for the next 2 weeks, which will be a tough task considering the nature of his breed.

Anyway, I’m extremely thankful that my best friend is still here, but angry at myself that he had to be left alone for such an invasive procedure, which could’ve been avoided had I been paying closer attention. Summer is fast approaching and bbq season is here, so please learn from my mistake and watch your pups around the grill/table/garbage

626E564C-2E00-4D70-B81B-3DC89D75F965.jpeg

FE1C0264-D85C-496E-A901-F54E40D34251.jpeg

F4FF5B80-2EEB-4A4D-A40D-14B7E35005F1.jpeg

Back