• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Show Us Your Bike...

Scott, can't beat a good SCOTT. It's all my arse will sit on LOL (no sleezy comments from you either Herbsley)

Sleazy?!
I dunno - I spend my entire 500+ post quota on here crafting a persona of being the Forum's comedy wordsmith, then I make one knob gag on the Frogskin section, and suddenly I get tarred with the 'sleaze' tag.
Hmph.

:tongue:

I must confess I'm looking at Colnago again for my next frame.
But I'm finding that some of the Cervelo frames look really nice. Something about their understated looks - not too busy looking. They get really well reviewed too.

Let me start by saying I'm an Italian so you'd think I would want an Italian bike as they are typically sought after bikes.

Then let me say that Colnago and Pinarello both in my eyes are a few steps behind the innovator's of the cycling world, they sell bikes based on heritage where as Specialized sells bikes by being innovative. Keep in mind I'm a triathlete with a road racing hobby, look at the Pinarello or Colnago tri offerings and then look at the new Specialized Shiv. The new Shiv isn't UCI legal, and they've gone so far as to put a bladder for hydration into the frame.(think Camelback) Tri bikes don't need to be UCI legal so they made it as fast as they could, they also have a Shiv TT for the UCI boys. How long till the Italian companies come out with something like that? As for a road bike they make a damn good product, as long as your not talking about an aero road bike. I can't be certain but I don't think either company has an aero road bike on the market, we may see Pinarello start to change with the signing of Mark Cavendish to team Sky but I doubt it.

I have the bikes I do because I'm a triathlete first and the Shiv is wicked, and then I love matte black and the Tarmac fit the bill. I also am very good friends with the local Specialized dealer so I get a break on them, but he also sells Cervelo. I used to have a Cervelo P3C and a Cervelo SLC-SL, both wicked but I prefer my current rides. The Ridley because cyclocross is Belgium and so are Ridley, stick to what they know. The Giant because I got it on a buy out and I needed something, and it was there.

There now.

I'm all about heritage, history, and good design.

I'll be Colnago or Cervelo. With Campag Record.

It's personal preference, mate.

There now.

I'm all about heritage, history, and good design.

I'll be Colnago or Cervelo. With Campag Record.

It's personal preference, mate.

It is all about preference, all I meant is that they don't push the envelope on design. If you buy a Colnago or Pinarello you are getting a bike with all the heritage and history of bike racing, and you can't argue with that or the results they've produced.

I plan on doing a full ironman this coming season, so when you know you have to do a 5 1/2- 6 hour ride then get off and run for 4 hours the better your tri bike is the easier that ride will be and the fresher your legs will be on the run. Cervelo makes a damn good bike, and once there new PX drops it's going to have some new things the tri world hasn't seen as well. I would definitely buy another Cervelo, I'm just so brand loyal when 1 changes the other bike follow's suit.

It's just the difference between the needs of a competitive cyclist and the desires of a keen recreational cyclist. That's all.

As I said: preference.

It's just the difference between the needs of a competitive cyclist and the desires of a keen recreational cyclist. That's all.

As I said: preference.

That's the very point I was trying to make. If I can buy a bike that provide's me with an advantage over one that doesn't for my primary racing bike I will.

My point is that the Italian company's make a great road bike built on knowledge from there long history and heritage in the sport, while some of the other company's use science to better there products. Tri bikes are built around scientific findings from the wind tunnel, when it's a solo effort without drafting aero is boss. In a peloton aero isn't important as you are riding in others slipstream.

My road bike not being aero was planned, I choose it to make a road ride harder when I'm out there by myself.

I suffer in training so come race day that same effort produces much better results.

The prestige Italian brands such as Colnago and Pinarello actually suffer a little due to their history, in a way, as it holds them back design-wise.
Their customer-base, and fan-base, prefer a traditional frame and traditional geometry - so that's what they work with, I.e. within parameters.
Other manufacturers make their name pushing envelopes. But, ya know, some of us still love that traditional geometry.

I understand where Mr Fiori is coming from. He needs a design to get that extra second's edge on the competition.
But for other roadies, it's all about what you're comfortable with and, let's be honest, what you think looks pretty.

I just love road bikes. A good design is a good design, ant I will admire it regardless of manufacturer.
But, my favourite make is Colnago and I'm brand loyal to that. So I'll buy another. Cos I like them.

Erm, or a Cervelo.
Haha.

The prestige Italian brands such as Colnago and Pinarello actually suffer a little due to their history, in a way, as it holds them back design-wise.
Their customer-base, and fan-base, prefer a traditional frame and traditional geometry - so that's what they work with, I.e. within parameters.
Other manufacturers make their name pushing envelopes. But, ya know, some of us still love that traditional geometry.

I understand where Mr Fiori is coming from. He needs a design to get that extra second's edge on the competition.
But for other roadies, it's all about what you're comfortable with and, let's be honest, what you think looks pretty.

I just love road bikes. A good design is a good design, ant I will admire it regardless of manufacturer.
But, my favourite make is Colnago and I'm brand loyal to that. So I'll buy another. Cos I like them.

Erm, or a Cervelo.
Haha.

Don't forget about Pinarello, the heritage and history while supporting the brand that your Countries team SKY will ride this coming season. We shall call it Itailish, half Italian half English. The Pinarello Dogma that team Moviestar rode in this past summers TDF was so sexy, gave me half wood.

how about this for a classic paint job eh?? :dance3:

31180223773067628367113.jpg

[disclaimer] its not mine, pic if off another site

Back