• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sick Of Thread Highjacks And Interference!!!!

Uluahunter

I should Work at Oakley
Hawaii
Is it just me or is there a growing problem with people intentionally or unintentionally highjacking/interfering with OP's WTS/WTT/WTB or other like threads? It wasn't like this before, and it's increasingly getting worse. I'm not speaking of the "nice glasses, GLWS" or "if I only had the money" or "those are sweet" responses. I'm speaking of members responding with comments that could/would or may possibly interfere or derail an OP's original thread....comments like, "wishful thinking" or "there's a lot on eBay", etc...those type of comments that are just blurted out without thought or consideration to the OP and others that may already be dealing. What if those type of comments have such negative influence to stop a current deal in progress between the OP and a member? That's what I'm talking about...

I'm getting sick of the crap that people write without thinking first. I mean come on, we're sitting behind keyboards...which gives everyone time to write their thoughts, then be able to go back, proofread and edit their comments before hitting the send button. I can understand that when speaking face to face we don't have that luxury, but when typing a response, everyone should be somewhat conscious of what they are writing, as to not offend, interfere or personally attack someone's thread. I may be blowing this out of proportion, but I believe that it's a problem that exists and is getting worse. There have been a number of threads that I've read or wrote recently in which I've experienced this, sometimes with the same person as the offender.

Anyway, I just wanted to get this off my chest as it's starting to really ruin the experience for me on the boards. I know that this subject has been somewhat addressed in the past, but it's flaring up again and getting worse. Feel free to chime in and share your thoughts, I'd love to here what other members think.

Well said and I agree. I think what is being done it they read part of the thread or not all of the responses that come after. Most people to not care and just say or type things out. Thank........ texting and stupid twitter for that!!!
I think what is really being done is building up their "post". on here.

This has been the same way all the time on the forum and there have been multiple threads discussing it!

I have had to moderate numerous threads in the past in regards to the exchange forum sections. The key issue to remember here is, per forum rules the thread will be for the sale, trade or purchase of an item. Additional info NOT relevant to the thread should be done by PM only. Once a negative or semi negative post goes public it starts to snowball outta control. I get numerous PM to review posts. Some are deleted or the thread is closed. We have to understand some members are new and they think there post is important enough to be public knowledge. Some of us as senior members should ignore it an move on. Correction of another member should be done by admin or mods if there is a problem, by bring it to our attention.

Just like with for sale or trade threads which appear to be ridiculous in nature by new members or such, let them just ride that way as they will be ignored. Lets try to play nice in the big internet sandbox. Ask yourself this, was it really necessary in the end.....Thanks all....

I had another member "try" and call me out on a post I had. He failed to read the entire post, and jumped all over me and altered my original quote I sent to him in his thread. Several members interjected in posts correcting him. I didn't have to post anything after that. I could have flamed him in public forum, but it wasn't necessary. Members chat outside of the forum and draw conclusions themselves.

:deadhorse:

Had too since you called me out

Obviously not a dead horse b/c you still keep doing it. I have nothing against you personally, frankly I don't know smack about you...we've completed a couple of successful transactions in the past and that's that. But, when you start posting one liner comments that are unnecessary or could likely be taken negatively/out of context, then why post at all. Can you name an instance where I posted a comment in one of your sale/trade threads that may have had negative influence or undertones?

Well said and I agree. I think what is being done it they read part of the thread or not all of the responses that come after. Most people to not care and just say or type things out. Thank........ texting and stupid twitter for that!!!
I think what is really being done is building up their "post". on here.

True Brett. I didn't think about that...maybe the poster isn't reading through the entire thread before posting unnecessary comments. Nonetheless, like we both agree, people will blurt out or write things without first thinking about what's being said and what potential effects it may have.

Report the post as off-topic (the little triangle with an exclamation in the lower left under the user info). A mod will likely delete it.

Wasn't aware of this Rusty...mahalo for the info, looks like I'll be using this more often.

I always take it straight to PM if im interested. as most should

Thank you for doing that owl!

This has been the same way all the time on the forum and there have been multiple threads discussing it!

I know! But it's still happening AND getting worse!

I have had to moderate numerous threads in the past in regards to the exchange forum sections. The key issue to remember here is, per forum rules the thread will be for the sale, trade or purchase of an item. Additional info NOT relevant to the thread should be done by PM only. Once a negative or semi negative post goes public it starts to snowball outta control. I get numerous PM to review posts. Some are deleted or the thread is closed. We have to understand some members are new and they think there post is important enough to be public knowledge. Some of us as senior members should ignore it an move on. Correction of another member should be done by admin or mods if there is a problem, by bring it to our attention.

Just like with for sale or trade threads which appear to be ridiculous in nature by new members or such, let them just ride that way as they will be ignored. Lets try to play nice in the big internet sandbox. Ask yourself this, was it really necessary in the end.....Thanks all....

Thanks maniac! I'm all for playing fair and nice, but it's hard when you have newbies, lurkers, offenders and repeat offenders that keep going against the grain. I'll keep in mind your insights and suggestions. This topic was just for my stress relief and ventilation.

Back