• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Single Black Tower Lighting Issues

IUSTEVE

I am Jim Jannard...
INDIANA
I just picked up a single wide black tower and have a small problem. This style has fluorescent lights on top and bottom with separate ballasts at each. When I got it home and fired it up yesterday all lights worked. While sitting there the top got dim. I removed the top cover and discovered one bulb had burnt out. So I replaced that and now the entire top won't light but the bottom is fine. This leads me to believe it has to be the ballast went bad? Now this is where my intelligence ends and I ask for your help. Do these go bad? Are new ones easy to locate? Is this a fix that I can handle or do I need to get an electrician? Any and ALL help would be super appreciated as the excitement of my acquiring my first display case has been saddened by the immediate problems with the lighting.

Replace it yourself it is EASY Go to your local Electric supply store and get the Balast. Also you might as well go to LED it will run lots cooler than what you have.

The stock ballast's are junk, close to being a fire hazard. Easy to get a quality replacement and not difficult to wire up. I did all LED's on mine including the bottom. As above, it is cooler but also longer life and less energy cost.

Can you guys link me to what I would need to change over? Like I said I have fluorescent top and bottom now. I wouldnt know where to begin on this that's why I asked. Also I assume to remove the ballast I just remove all wire nuts from the maybe 10 wires coming out of the thing and unscrew?

If you want to convert to LED's I got most of my parts at http://www.superbrightleds.com/. You will need a 120/12V LED driver/tranformer, MR16 LED,s for the top down lights. You would have to get some strip lights to replaced the fluorescenst for the logo lights. I will post some pics when I can.

I dont have a tower with "top down" lights if you will. It has 2 fluorescent tubes with a single ballast on top and the same in the base pointing upward. Prior to conversion I would love to be able to simply fix this current problem then focus on converting. But I am all ears to any and all help. I know nothing about ballasts, wiring them and where to get replacement ones.

I dont have a tower with "top down" lights if you will. It has 2 fluorescent tubes with a single ballast on top and the same in the base pointing upward. Prior to conversion I would love to be able to simply fix this current problem then focus on converting. But I am all ears to any and all help. I know nothing about ballasts, wiring them and where to get replacement ones.
Can you post pics of your tower? take inside photos please. As for hooking up ballast it is wire to wire color coded, VERY simple. I have never seen a black case without top down lights

iphonepics006.jpg

iphonepics003.jpg

iphonepics002.jpg

The last pic is looking down from the top with cover removed. At the top of the pic you can see the ballast.

Attachments

• iphonepics006.jpg
    iphonepics006.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 302
  • iphonepics003.jpg
    iphonepics003.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 312
  • iphonepics002.jpg
    iphonepics002.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 329
I found this on Youtube for you check it out. Tons of Ballast videos on youtube for you.
Also if you want to get the 4 down spot lights it will be super easy to get and make a back panel for inside top of you case. Just get flat sheet metal to fit the inside cut your 4 holes and spray paint the inside with textured black paint. and the light rings also.

Back