• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Single Black Tower Lighting Issues

1) Will I still be able to use the fluorescent lights and ballast on the bottom? Yes no changes to the bottom.

2)Does this company not provide bezels? Not that I could find but you could call them to ask. Something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR16-PAR20-...90936?pt=US_Wall_Fixtures&hash=item414def1f18

3) The first item linked, do I get the 20 watt or 60 watt? They are 3 watt bulbs X 4 would be 12 watts so the 20 would be ok. If you later wanted to add corner strip lights or logo I would get the 60. I put a 150 in mine but I overkill everything.

4) You mentioned taking the 2-wire input from existing ballast and connect it to LED transformer. Are you referring to the ballast that still works for the bottom lights? Because the ballast on the top is bad.
You would be removing the existing ballast, the fluorescent sockets and wires to the sockets. The input wires, should be black and white with a green ground would go to the input (120V) on the new transformer.

Here is what mine looks like. My lights were a bit larger than standard MR16, liked the blade look to these and the big heat sinks (overkill). I had to engineer my own way of mounting.

You may also want to wire in a dimmer here is just one choice. http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...lt-dc-single-color-led-mini-dimmer/1082/2573/

IMG_3016_zpsaec5856b.jpg
e7aee4dd-44f3-4225-8902-d86e56de0a62_zpscf9c5a4e.jpg

So basically I take the wires coming UP from the lower ballast and wire into the new LED transformer then take the leads OUT of the LED transformer and connect to the new LED light fixtures and voila? I wont even have to disconnect the wiring going to the original on/off switch right?

What did you mount your new LED fixtures to?
What bulbs did you use that you were able to get bezels with them?
What size transformer is that?
Is 3 of the LEDs enough light?
What light source do you have down on the bottom?

So basically I take the wires coming UP from the lower ballast and wire into the new LED transformer then take the leads OUT of the LED transformer and connect to the new LED light fixtures and voila? I wont even have to disconnect the wiring going to the original on/off switch right?

What did you mount your new LED fixtures to?
What bulbs did you use that you were able to get bezels with them?
What size transformer is that?
Is 3 of the LEDs enough light?
What light source do you have down on the bottom?

Steve best thing for you to do is CALL the company Oakley-olic linked you to. Give them your Ballast part number and tell them you want to convert to LED. They will put you a package together. They sell and deal with all that stuff all DAY LONG. We don't want you getting in over your head just call them PLEASE. Let us know what all they set you up with.

I'd prefer the help from a fellow forum member on how he re-wired his setup personally rather than some joke over the phone. Sorry if I was bothering you asking him a few questions as it was not my intention. ;)

Nah man you didn't bother me, besides it your thread. I just want you to get everything you need at one time. Trust me I know what you are going through. I had a fellow member help me out with my LED questions but I just went to a local place and got everything I needed. It was soooo much easier than asking tons of ?'s

So basically I take the wires coming UP from the lower ballast and wire into the new LED transformer then take the leads OUT of the LED transformer and connect to the new LED light fixtures and voila? I wont even have to disconnect the wiring going to the original on/off switch right? Yes thats it.

What did you mount your new LED fixtures to? Mine were to big for the bezel. I just used some door edge protector around the opening and drilled and tapped the heat sinks for screws which help hold the light in place. More work than most would consider, did I mention overkill...:)
What bulbs did you use that you were able to get bezels with them? They did not come with bezels, sort of made my own.
What size transformer is that? 150 watt but I am powering 6, 6 watt MR16's (2 watts per led). Also about 400 inches of strip lighting for the bottom, corners and logo on 4 dimmers for the different zones.
Is 3 of the LEDs enough light? Should be these are for cabinet lights and you would have 4 of them.
What light source do you have down on the bottom? It is an array of LED's, strip light on 1/4X1/2" heat sink..

IMG_2946_zpsd2256fce.jpg

So basically I take the wires coming UP from the lower ballast and wire into the new LED transformer then take the leads OUT of the LED transformer and connect to the new LED light fixtures and voila? I wont even have to disconnect the wiring going to the original on/off switch right? Yes thats it.

What did you mount your new LED fixtures to? Mine were to big for the bezel. I just used some door edge protector around the opening and drilled and tapped the heat sinks for screws which help hold the light in place. More work than most would consider, did I mention overkill...:)
What bulbs did you use that you were able to get bezels with them? They did not come with bezels, sort of made my own.
What size transformer is that? 150 watt but I am powering 6, 6 watt MR16's (2 watts per led). Also about 400 inches of strip lighting for the bottom, corners and logo on 4 dimmers for the different zones.
Is 3 of the LEDs enough light? Should be these are for cabinet lights and you would have 4 of them.
What light source do you have down on the bottom? It is an array of LED's, strip light on 1/4X1/2" heat sink..

IMG_2946_zpsd2256fce.jpg

I like this option as the base and may add it as well. Are all your lights (top and bottom) on 1 single transformer? And all ran to the original on/off switch?
What are your lights mounted to on top? My top is semi-transparent plexiglass which I know I will have to replace with something?
As for the transformer you linked, maybe I should get a larger one to power the 4 MR16's at the top, whatever I use for the logo backlighting then whatever I use in the base. What do you think? If I am replacing the fluorescent at top then maybe I should just replace the base ones as well at the same time since these ballasts arent the greatest anyway?

Mine is all on 1 transformer, turns on with power switch. I do have a smaller transformer, brick type. It is always on only to power a night light and the interior storage area when the doors are open but that's a separate project. SuperbrightLEDs will help you pick the appropriate wattage for the amount of lights you intend to install. Most of the black 3.0 and 3.1 cases are just sheet metal on top with holes punched out to accommodate the lights. Another poster suggested cutting and painting some sheet metal to replace the plastic.

Latest Posts

Back