• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Skate Deck Holbrook Chipping

That's funny, didn't know they came already chipped. Mine must have been defective prior to the lens swap.
actually, it probably loosened the coating upon lens install, and it just finally worked itself free from lens cleanings and handling. I would almost bet on it. It is totally not uncommon. hydroprint is simply a graphic that is applied to the surface and then coated to seal it with a clear of some sort. Nothing special, and certainly nothing impervious to chips. Their older styles (and new) that have color painted on them is a single stage paint meaning there is no additional clear coat (it's built in basically), so the coating is less thick and less prone to chips. I would almost think that most of the new stuff is not coated in house anymore, and the QC has taken a bigger sh!t than a kid full of plums!

That's a bit s**t. Glad I don't plan on changing the lenses in mine.
you can change them but don't be afraid to flex the lenses a bit going in (minimize contact with the sides of the frame), and pull on the frame as well. I have to on a lot of mine....

i did the same swap on my frogs above and had no problems..the lenses were actually a little tough to get out but no biggie. i wonder why the holbrooks are different

Just to clarify earlier comments these are actually painted.
I would be hard pressed to believe they are painted. Especially after having a holbrook in my hands that I acquired for my son. Hydroprint can chip too...just saying. Very seriously doubt for a mass production piece, they are having workers in HQ or China sit there and paint/distress them...Too uniform, too smooth, and being that I paint and have done many in different ways of achieving the end finish, know they don't seem right. I have yet to handle a Craftsman frog, but I will and I will double check em..

Back