• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Snowboarders and Skiers Only

elpapi_oakley

Oakley Beginner
I got back from Utah not long ago and I rocked my Oakley Insulated cargo pants and Ski down jacket;however, I have Burton a Try and disappointed, tried their gore Tex Pro and felt way inferior that Oakley.
What are your thoughts about snowboarding and Ski clothing ? Oakley vs Burton?

I got back from Utah not long ago and I rocked my Oakley Insulated cargo pants and Ski down jacket;however, I have Burton a Try and disappointed, tried their gore Tex Pro and felt way inferior that Oakley.

Oakley ski clothing is ok, but nothing special imho. I'd rate Arcteryx, Marmot, Ortovox Norrøna, Kjus, Sweet protection etc. higher. Fit is individual and I like Oakley's jackets, but the pants I've tried didn't feel as good as ones I have from other brands. In normal conditions I wear an Oakley jacket while skiing, rest is from other makers.

Never used Burton.

Having owned coats and pants of both Oakley & Burton I've come to see them as relatively on the same tier in terms of quality. For use in the resorts I'd rate them as relatively equal to one another. Where they fall short imo is when it comes to backcountry shredding where weight is a factor to consider, both are going be bulkier than the above mentioned brands. An may not have as high breathability or waterproofing ratings as those brands, which I think is more important to consider given you're going to be doing quite a bit of hiking which can work up a sweat.

Jacket wise if I know I'm only going to be at the resort I'll wear one of Orage jackets I own, I fell in love with the wrist gators they all feature and how they're all insulated but not overly bulky. If the day plan involves some trekking, I'd opt for something lighter and with more stretch factor in em for sake of comfort - Helly Hansen, Marmot, or TNF Steep Series have all been good to me.

Pants wise, for about the last decade I'd rotated between a pair of Session, Oakley (go-to pair) & Burton pants at least within the resorts. When in the alps or backcountry I tend to opt for shells or bibs instead, because the ability to remove layers/vent out whereas resort setups are typically just a thermal and w/e pants/jacket I'm wearing.

- Burtons pants are a heavy shell; pant cuffs are extra thick to prevent tears, they have loads but aren't the warmest by any means and they're bulky, waterproofing is awesome.
- Oakleys are insulated; insulation throughout + added thinsulate insulation on the butt & knees, the cuffs aren't as durable as the burtons, they're lighter, waterproofing is very good.
- Session terrain park pants (beaters); light insulation throughout, the wind blew right through them, the water proofing was terrible going up on lift when snowing, the cuffs were okay.

I wore an Oakley jacket and pants on a trip to Utah years ago and promptly sold the set, when I got back. I didn’t care for the jacket’s fit, it was a bit sloppy on me.

I’m TOTALLY sold on Arc’teryx jackets. The fit is spot on. Love their hard and soft shells, depending on weather. My go to is a Beta AR.

Not a fan of insulated clothing, prefer shells with less bulk and better freedom of movement. I’m partial to a pair of Sims shell pants, although I have an older, non insulated pair of Oakley pants, that does the trick.

Haven’t tried Burton.

I wore an Oakley jacket and pants on a trip to Utah years ago and promptly sold the set, when I got back. I didn’t care for the jacket’s fit, it was a bit sloppy on me.

Higher end brands tend have a tailored feel to them, rather than a catch all S/M/L type of fit - pants might be offered in actual waist sizes and/or offer inseams of Short/Regular/Long .

Whereas Oakley and Burton, are sloppier in fit. With the added not of Burton tends to run baggier in comparison to Oakley.

Mammut Eiger Extreme, best gear on the planet! Customer service, apperal rugedness, looks, warmth.
Oakley eyewear above all eyewear. Thats what they are good at, ski wear, not! Wasn't even impressed with the MOD 5, fit like hell, uncomfortable, but then I rarely wear a bucket.

Oakley winter outerwear is honestly junk.

You can get HH for the same price (if not cheaper) and it is superior.

Any of the brands mentioned by others above are going to perform far better than Oakley. Spyder, Kjus, Descente, Karbon...all going to perform better, be lighter, warmer and more durable.

Seeing a lot more HH gear on the mountain lately.

We used to have an HH outlet store near us years ago, but it didn't last long.

Spyder outlet also went belly up.

I know the Spyder owner. His son married my ex wife's best friend. The son owns it now I believe.
What a life she got, traveling to all the trade shows, skiing.
The owner was deathly afraid of black widows, so to over come his fear he had one in his office and hence the name of the brand. Little trivia for you double planker, wanker yankers, and knuckle draggers.

Seeing a lot more HH gear on the mountain lately.

Not sure if you're in Canada, but if you are, there is a specific reason for that.

Helly was bought by Canadian Tire, who owns FGL, which is the parents company of Sport Chek, Atmosphere etc. It's pretty much their main in-house brand now. Quality has slipped a little bit but the higher end stuff is still pretty good for the price.

Way better than a same-price Oakley product, thats for sure.

Latest Posts

Back