• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So I found these in a ditch...

Llohr

Oakley Beginner
5lfhHaL.jpg

Ran across these severely beat up Valve 1.0s lying by the side of the road. The polarized lenses are seriously shot, the finish is pretty bad, with some bits in the silver area worn completely to clear plastic, and there are no nose bombs.

However, I find I find I rather like the lines of these things, and am considering trying to give them new life.

The first question I feel I must ask is: Is there any way to get nosebombs for these things? Would the current valves by some miracle use the same ones? If I can't find rubber of some sort, I should probably give up right there.

valve!nice!
got one of those, so we have the same problems..one of my nose bomb was bitten by a mouse..the fading of the frame from blue to black is okay for me,but the silver part looked ugly with the peeling..so I'd love to hear how it can be restored..

Talk to coloradocustomlook. They should be able to sort you boys out with the finish at the very least. The nosebombs... Check the interchangeable parts list here on the forum and throw out a wtb thread for parts. Best of luck. Nice score!

Awesome score! No coincidence that a lost Oakley in a ditch was recovered by a forum member! It we meant to be! Good luck with the restoration!

OK, this might sound silly, but I'm thinking about removing the little nubs that hold the nosebombs entirely. These Valves are quite light; I think they would stay on fine and not irritate me with just bare plastic, and they'd sit a bit lower that way, thus accumulating less oil from my eyebrows (why can't they design some good looking shades that sit below one's eyebrows?!).

Then I'd have a pair that'd never need anything but lenses replaced. I'll wait until I've tried on a complete pair to see if I prefer the fit with nosebombs first.

I imagine I'll have to have some donors custom-cut for them. Juliet lenses are damn close to a fit, so I may start out with some of those I have lying around that are a bit beat up (anything is less beat up than what's in them) and attempt to cut them myself.

As far as frame refinishing goes, I have no clear idea yet. I don't like noisy patterns or bright colors... I wonder what they'd look like if bead blasted and then left alone...

I found a microbag lying at the side of a forest trail once, but was slightly disappointed to find it was empty. Still, a bag is a bag!

Back