• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So I Ran Over My Split Jackets

yugotprblms

Oakley Beginner
Found them 6 hours later where I left them, in the road, next to where I was parked at school, in pieces. Surprisingly, I got the ear stems back in, and the main frame part is mostly scratched and gouged. Jaws, lenses and nose pieces need replacing. Most of the plastic has scratches and gouges in various places, but it is hard to tell at even 5 feet. Is there any way to maybe smooth out the gouges and scratches and stuff?

Thanks

What's with forum members running over their Split Jackets lately????

Well it certainly looks like it's time to get the hero version if you are partial to that frame

The extra lens will help to aliviate the fact that you stepped on your ****, no biggie as I and many others have done so:angry:

keep the scuffed up frame for working out doors, swimming, or hunting/camping trips.
pick up the arms somewhere down the road for em on the cheap

if you don't mind me asking what combo were your shades,

Hell man, I plan on using these ones as my daily drivers still. They really are not too bad. And I guess I used the wrong term when I said "ear stems". I meant the arms were fine. One of the arms had a jacked up connector, or the part that clicks in and pivots, but I was able to bend it back in shape. So I ordered some new lenses, jaws, and nose pieces, and it should be fine and dandy.

I had the shiny black and blue ones that were cheap on the Vault a while ago, but I got some black jaws for them. So they were all shiny black pretty much, save for the icons and the blue screws for the jaws. They were really pretty sick looking. The black is probably what really helps mask the damage that was done. I will try to get some pictures when I can so you can see what I mean.

Believe me though, I was furious about the situation.

Found them 6 hours later where I left them, in the road, next to where I was parked at school, in pieces. Surprisingly, I got the ear stems back in, and the main frame part is mostly scratched and gouged. Jaws, lenses and nose pieces need replacing. Most of the plastic has scratches and gouges in various places, but it is hard to tell at even 5 feet. Is there any way to maybe smooth out the gouges and scratches and stuff?

Thanks

You can use very fine 1500 and higher sandpaper or rubbing compound to cut down the highspots. I recently repolished my Flak Jackets with 3M rubbing compound and Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish and got excellent results. I also removed some dog teeth divots on some Split Jacket Jaws using the same technique.

Hello,
I'm the guy on eBay that sells the jaws - it looks like you purchased them from me yesterday.

Forum price is $25 shipped, so $8 less than the Bay. If you want, I can refund your eBay purchase and we can go directly through Paypal to get the Forum price.

PM me if you'd like to do that.

Thanks

that's too funny!

Mine survived being run over relatively well. The lenses are pooched (I have now stripped them and don't look too bad) and the nose bombs were pretty shredded but other than some nicks and gouges they held up.

They are currently awaiting their second coat of paint and hopefully turn out like I want them. I've never done ANY precise painting like this so it's definitely a challenge!

Yeti, let me know if you need anything - sounds like you have the nosebombs figured out already.

Back