• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So I Ran Over My Split Jackets

Yeti, let me know if you need anything - sounds like you have the nosebombs figured out already.

Thanks to a generous member I do.

I'll probably be needing some lenses, but I am going to hold off and see how the final product turns out. If it looks like **** there is no point in putting good money after bad haha.

You can use very fine 1500 and higher sandpaper or rubbing compound to cut down the highspots. I recently repolished my Flak Jackets with 3M rubbing compound and Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish and got excellent results. I also removed some dog teeth divots on some Split Jacket Jaws using the same technique.

Sounds like I may have to give that a try, what grade of the rubbing compound did you use?

Here is the compound I use:

3M 03900 Rubbing Compound - 8 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

and here is what I used for polishing:

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish : Amazon.com : Automotive

I used to use this for plastic polishing but I noticed the Deep Crystal produces a nicer and faster gloss.

Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish -10 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Just to clarify the sandpaper. You can use lower number than 1500 grit sandpaper but it will scratch the plastic. I've used 800 grit to remove the texture from my Flak's but to be safe I said 1500. The 800 would cut it faster but if you go too hard you might make more scratches. I water sanded my frames just to make sure to wash away any particles which might make more scratches. You might want to start with the 800 and go numerically higher (800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000)

According to the 3M compound bottle it removes 1500 and higher scratches. So you might want to start with the 800 to 1200 to remove the high spots and then used the compound and when it's pretty smooth and shiny then use the polish. The hard part is getting rid of the scratches and divots which are lower than the initial surface. If you sand too much then you are taking away plastic from the frame and might change the shape. I would just knock off the high spots and then use the compound to blend everything in. The scratches will still be there but you are polishing it to sorta mask it. Basically, it's the same as if you were to get a scratch on your car's paint. You can sand it to try to blend it a little more then rubbing compound it and polish it. The scratch will still be there but be less visible.

Hope this helped. Good luck. Try to post some really good pics so we can see how bad the damage is and maybe we can help you better.

Thanks to a generous member I do.

I'll probably be needing some lenses, but I am going to hold off and see how the final product turns out. If it looks like **** there is no point in putting good money after bad haha.

I'll send it out today. Hopefully it will get there soon. I've never mailed anything out to Canada I hope it all goes well.

Here is the compound I use:

3M 03900 Rubbing Compound - 8 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

and here is what I used for polishing:

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish : Amazon.com : Automotive

I used to use this for plastic polishing but I noticed the Deep Crystal produces a nicer and faster gloss.

Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish -10 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Just to clarify the sandpaper. You can use lower number than 1500 grit sandpaper but it will scratch the plastic. I've used 800 grit to remove the texture from my Flak's but to be safe I said 1500. The 800 would cut it faster but if you go too hard you might make more scratches. I water sanded my frames just to make sure to wash away any particles which might make more scratches. You might want to start with the 800 and go numerically higher (800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000)

According to the 3M compound bottle it removes 1500 and higher scratches. So you might want to start with the 800 to 1200 to remove the high spots and then used the compound and when it's pretty smooth and shiny then use the polish. The hard part is getting rid of the scratches and divots which are lower than the initial surface. If you sand too much then you are taking away plastic from the frame and might change the shape. I would just knock off the high spots and then use the compound to blend everything in. The scratches will still be there but you are polishing it to sorta mask it. Basically, it's the same as if you were to get a scratch on your car's paint. You can sand it to try to blend it a little more then rubbing compound it and polish it. The scratch will still be there but be less visible.

Hope this helped. Good luck. Try to post some really good pics so we can see how bad the damage is and maybe we can help you better.

Wow, that is a pretty detailed explanation. I really appreciate that man. I have sand paper in 1000, 1500, and 2000 for some knife sharpening stuff, so I will probably use some of those unused ones. Then I will probably grab that crystal polish as well. I will try to get pictures later today after I get home from my classes.

Wow, that is a pretty detailed explanation. I really appreciate that man. I have sand paper in 1000, 1500, and 2000 for some knife sharpening stuff, so I will probably use some of those unused ones. Then I will probably grab that crystal polish as well. I will try to get pictures later today after I get home from my classes.

Oh, the stuff I posted was for the polished type frames. If it is painted you need to try to touch it up and then try the compound.

Here are some pics. Click for full size.

First two are the lenses. Obviously unusable for the time being.

img20120927213211.th.jpg

img20120927213332.th.jpg

Nose pieces, usable, but damaged. Still functional though.

img20120927213544.th.jpg

Kind of hard to see in this picture, but there is some surface damage to see. The main thing with this one is the two pivot arm things got a little bend, so I had to bend them back. It seems to be working fine now.

img20120927213641.th.jpg

Front of the glasses, more of the damage that you see most everywhere.

img20120927213809.th.jpg

Like I previously stated, pretty much no functionality was ruined, save for the left arm which I seem to have fixed. I already put my blue jaws on for testing, one of the black ones was jacked just enough to bother me. The other was fine though. Let me know what you think.

I was thinking not to bad until I read the part about putting back the blue jaws. The orbitals don't look too bad. I would attack each divot separately and try to only sand the highspots down and not try to get rid of the divot unless it's not that deep. If you try that you will have a uneven surface.

You could also use a Dremel with a felt buffer but beware since the speed is pretty high. I have a cordless one which can spin slower than the electric but if you hold the thing on one spot too long it starts to melt the plastic. Also, with the Dremel, don't use the compound just the polish. The speed of the thing will cut the highspots down.

Good luck! Just take your time and things should go smooth.

Back