• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So I want to try a Revant lens, help me choose one (or two...)

KarlBlessing

I should Work at Oakley
West Michigan
I have the following

Holbrook XL Woodgrain
  • Prizm Tungsten Polarized currently installed
  • Prizm Trail (probably my favorite, got it for hiking and overcast days)
  • Prizm Shallow Water Polarized that came with the frames (second favorite, gives everything a nice golden hour look, pops but not as insane as tungsten)
Flak 2.0 XL Matte Black
  • Prizm Deep Water Polarized
  • Prizm Trail Torch (arriving in a few days)
I've tried Prizm Rose Gold Polarized, Prizm Road, Prizm Daily Polarized, and Prizm Sapphire Polarized.

I understand that nothing on the market comes close to the Prizm effect, just maybe in base tint and appearance.

I've been a fan of the rose tint on the prizms, namely the Trail and SWP, but found Road to be a bit bland (and somehow purple leaning in the environment I was looking at). Prizm Daily wasn't bad, felt pretty neutral with a tiny bit of warmth, Deep Water felt like Prizm Daily with a kick of warmth added but pale in comparison to the Shallow Water.

Sapphire looked cool on the front, but just seemed meh and flat thru the lens (too neutral I guess?)

On the bronze tint ones, I like the Tungsten but can't seem to wear them continuously like I can with Trail and SWP (noticing a bit of a headache after the second day using them, then relaxed when switching to say DWP). The Tungsten is nice in the late afternoon when everything gets even warmer an almost actual 'golden' look. Really did not care for the Rose Gold at all though, it's a subtler effect of Tungsten, but for some reason has a green cast that stands out over everything (perhaps from all the yellow reflected off the front).

I'm most likely going to seek getting something for the Flak primarily, but for either I would like least one lens to have a higher light transmission when the day is heavily overcast (especially if I'm going into thicker woods for hiking as the summer approaches). Not sure about something like the tracer yellow, but seems to be the only thing above a 25% they have. But the second pair since they have a 40% off offering if you get one would be something for later this year when things start to get snowy and bright everywhere.

At least one of the lens I get from them I'd like to try their standard non-polarized, non-mirrorsheild as I understand the standard is a similar polycarbonate material that is less likely to just pop out of the frame, and the mirror shield ones have reports of being thinner and popping out, but not sure I want to spend to the level of their Elite if I'm already spoiled by the Prizm lens I have.

I want to try a Revant lens

giphy.gif

I don't think there's anything 3rd party lens matching with what you're looking for right now. In fact you might recall the other thread, where I was looking for their Flash Bronze - which turned out to be similar to dark bronze with no iridium. No other 'exciting' options in their kitty right now. The once-exciting options (HC3 and Tracer series) are discontinued, they are looking at the mass market.

Having said that, the Adapt Orange photochromic looks intriguing. And Linegear has some really interesting lenses but their selection of frames is very limited.

I don't think there's anything 3rd party lens matching with what you're looking for right now. In fact you might recall the other thread, where I was looking for their Flash Bronze - which turned out to be similar to dark bronze with no iridium. No other 'exciting' options in their kitty right now. The once-exciting options (HC3 and Tracer series) are discontinued, they are looking at the mass market.

Having said that, the Adapt Orange photochromic looks intriguing. And Linegear has some really interesting lenses but their selection of frames is very limited.

The more I look into it, the more its seeming more like "Oh I screwed up my OEM lens and I don't want to spend $80-110 for another set)" situation, especially if I'm not so concerned about the front-side appearance and more about its function.

"Oh I screwed up my OEM lens and I don't want to spend $80-110 for another set)"

That's precisely what non-OEM lenses are all about and that's also why I wouldn't want to put down more than $30- $35 on a set unless it brings something new and exciting to the table.

That's precisely what non-OEM lenses are all about and that's also why I wouldn't want to put down more than $30- $35 on a set unless it brings something new and exciting to the table.
Hence why I didn't want to bother with the "Elite" for 55+ , as I think someone said they were on par with Oakley's standard lens.

And I'm guessing any HC3 still floating around are not exactly priced competitively.

Sorry to be slow, but is the "elite" different from the HC3?
if so, what are the differences.

Sorry to be slow, but is the "elite" different from the HC3?
if so, what are the differences.

HC3 was a series of contrast-boosting lenses and they were pretty comparable to the Prizm line of lenses from Oakley.

Elite is just the name for their premium lineup of lenses. They are polycarbonate lenses with same thickness as OEM and feature AR coatings and some other niceties.

Back