• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

So who runs or owns OakleyForum.com??

I have been visiting both for a while now and they both compliment each other pretty well. There are many members that count themselves as members of both forums since there are benefits to both. The Oakley Forum is far larger and gets a lot more of the general discussion. Generally speaking it is a place for junior to intermediate level collectors. The O Review is far smaller, has the database and is made up of much more senior collectors. It is where you go if you are already an expert and want to learn even more. I know members from both and they both have great communities.

The oldest OF post I've found is 2/1/11 (or for you Europeans, 1.2.11...)
More than just the Europeans here:

900px-Date_format_by_country.svg.png

Cyan shows countries using a little endian date (smallest first, i.e. DDMMYYYY). So the Aussies here, some of the Asians, large swathes of the world (not all ex-British Empire even!).

Magenta is middle endian only (MMDDYYYY). So that's.... you and Belize then! ;)

Interesting page: Date format by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the interest of full disclosure, I think the system that makes most sense is neither of those, but big endian as used by Japan, China and others - it allows a perfect sort of date and time.

o-review has done a great job building a database for reference. There have been calls here to do the same, but why imitate? It's been done already. Here, let's focus on discussion. I recall @Rustpot, a member of both, once making a nice rant on the differences / stagnancy of o-review, in a thread about whether to add restrictions to our exchange section...
It wasn't a rant, so much as a lesson learned about closing the doors and a warning to the people calling for heavy-handed restrictions (albeit small changes, they could have large affect).

As great as O-Review is, and I've told this to Dann so I'm not trying to be sneaky, the forum is not the biggest draw or the strongest feature. It was invite only for a long time and still requires a donation to post an ad in the exchange area. Which serves the purposes over there. They're not flooded by seasonal membership, or people popping in to do one exchange and hightail it out of town after making a quick buck. Not saying our community is worse off for it, but there's two very distinct styles at work.

The oldest OF post I've found is 2/1/11 (or for you Europeans, 1.2.11...)
lol...

It seems a well thought of blog, where many Oakley enthusiasts come together, some sell, some buy, some learn tips, and some sponsors help contribute a tiny part to this forum going ;) ...

I see xmetalmaniac moderate a lot and I see some people who just started out as forum members who appear to have become moderator but who is The Boss? This is just a curiosity question more than anything else. Part 2 of my question is how the OF relate to O-review? Are all members here members there as well? I have looked over O-review and I think I signed up once but I may have lost my login because of the amount of time since my last login.

again nothing more than curiosity raises these questions.

Thanks
Rene

I created OakleyForum.com back in early 2011(as already pointed out), after I couldn't find anywhere to ask a question regarding a pair of Oakleys (To this day I can't remember what it was). I had googled it like crazy, found OR and a few other forums, which were essentially dead at the time, and noticed a lot of people just using Oakley's Facebook page to communicate. I took a plunge and created OakleyForum.com so the community could have a proper place to meet. Throughout the last 4 years, we have always tried to involve the community in major decisions, and do what is best overall for the site. I now stand as administrator of the site, with the moderators (who are the real heroes, volunteering their time to make this a better place), looking over specific areas.

We have no relationship with OR, though I know some members are members over there as well. I have a tremendous respect for the site, but as already said, I see it functioning as a database of information more than a forum. For a while the forum on OR, which is limited in functionality (mainly due to the database of information being the main priority), was locked down fairly tight. My goal was to create an open forum where the community as a whole could grow. The classic OakleyForum.com story is joining with 1 or 2 pairs, learning about the world of Oakley, and next thing you know, you are posting collection pictures from your new double wide case!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

I created OakleyForum.com back in early 2011(as already pointed out), after I couldn't find anywhere to ask a question regarding a pair of Oakleys (To this day I can't remember what it was). I had googled it like crazy, found OR and a few other forums, which were essentially dead at the time, and noticed a lot of people just using Oakley's Facebook page to communicate. I took a plunge and created OakleyForum.com so the community could have a proper place to meet. Throughout the last 4 years, we have always tried to involve the community in major decisions, and do what is best overall for the site. I now stand as administrator of the site, with the moderators (who are the real heroes, volunteering their time to make this a better place), looking over specific areas.

We have no relationship with OR, though I know some members are members over there as well. I have a tremendous respect for the site, but as already said, I see it functioning as a database of information more than a forum. For a while the forum on OR, which is limited in functionality (mainly due to the database of information being the main priority), was locked down fairly tight. My goal was to create an open forum where the community as a whole could grow. The classic OakleyForum.com story is joining with 1 or 2 pairs, learning about the world of Oakley, and next thing you know, you are posting collection pictures from your new double wide case!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
U had a great thought back in 2011 when you established the OF and i personally thank you for providing us such a nice place where people from all over the world can meet up and share their passion to the brand ;)

I have been visiting both for a while now and they both compliment each other pretty well. There are many members that count themselves as members of both forums since there are benefits to both. The Oakley Forum is far larger and gets a lot more of the general discussion. Generally speaking it is a place for junior to intermediate level collectors. The O Review is far smaller, has the database and is made up of much more senior collectors. It is where you go if you are already an expert and want to learn even more. I know members from both and they both have great communities.

Generally how I describe the two of them.

OF is more of the social side of collecting.

OR is more for the hardcore collector with a vast knowledge base

Luckily I fit into both of them quite well.

ok, so here´s another question: who runs OakleyForum on Instagram ??

ok, so here´s another question: who runs OakleyForum on Instagram ??

That is me as well. Fairly new to the whole instagram thing. The biggest issue this site has is getting exposure. The Oakley community is millions strong, and everyday we get new members who just found out this site exists, so Facebook, Twitter, Instagram help spread the word.

Latest Posts

Back