• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Some Misconceptions Cleared Up On Oakleys From China.

It's a fact they don't feel the asme but it also varies I bought a china made Sj black vr 28 black and returned it cuz it felt cheap and didn't feel the same but took a chance on another pair later and they felt more solid ... It is not only being manufactured in China it is quality control.

I am wondering why everyone is so quick to blame Lux on making frames in China. As much as I love Oakley, I would think Oakley chose to do this in order to keep up with production. You only have a few options if you need to ramp up production quickly. You can find a contract manufacturer here in the U.S., but at what cost? As we all know Luxottica has a gigantic share of the sunglass world and no doubt is making millions of glasses on the cheap. I don’t think anyone in the U.S. could possible come close to the pricing Oakley could get by leveraging off the Luxottica name overseas. You could enlarge your current facility; time would be critical and would most likely take too long to build. So, that doesn’t leave you with a whole lot to get your glasses to the market in a timely manner, any lost time is lost revenue. While I am not a fan of Oakleys being made in China, I am also not surprised they are now made there. I am surprised it took this long to move production over there. Oakley is getting big worldwide and you have to sell a lot of product to keep a big company afloat. That also means styles for the masses, unfortunately.
I think the blind comparison test someone mentioned is a very good idea. While you can probably tell with some, there may also be no difference with the Chinese made sunglasses. It would be fun to find out.

I think the blind comparison test someone mentioned is a very good idea. While you can probably tell with some, there may also be no difference with the Chinese made sunglasses. It would be fun to find out.
I will have to see if I have some older models here to compare with newer models and see if people can feel the difference.

Good read, I was at first also hesitant to purchase my Radarlock as it did not have the "Made in the USA" stamp on it but after feeling the quality of my wife's radarlock edge (USA stamped) it really didnt make any difference. Hence I believe they do have very good quality control even in China. Although my preference would still always be the ones made 100% from the U.S. same as the X-metal line.

nice tread everything is made in china nowadays its all about the dough im not surprised if OAKLEY goes this route mass production in china pay is 2 bucks a hour an executive would be a fool not to go that route so its up to us the so called consumers to buy or not support these products. That is why I only have x metals in my collection none of the o matters (plastic for short) cause I know 4sure those were made USA.

The past few years I've gained a small interest in politics and our place and effect on the world market and economy and truthfully it is a little scary, I remember reading roughly 75% of all non consumable products we have around our households came from China. With the amount of money we owe them I don't see how we will ever pay them back. It's a little scary because there's always that idea that if we experience any kind of economic or social conflict with China the fact we owe them so much makes me personally a little worried it could always lead to war, although unlikely. I mean we owe Japan nearly the exact same amount as China (a little less is all). I just don't trust Chinas politics all that much is all, lol. And the fact we took our debt to gdp ratio from 73% to 104% within a year means we keep digging ourselves into a deeper hole. I think Japan has an outrageous debt to gdp ratio, like over 200% if I remember correctly. But good for them they owe almost all the money to them themselves, like around 95% they own. In contrast to Japan is the fact we owe almost 50% to other countries. America is like MC Hammer in the 90s, he looked rich beyond belief but claimed bankruptcy because he was really broke. We are MC Hammer, just with less flashy pants.

..... did I just get like way off topic or what

Well I recently got two pairs of Ti crosshairs, a new pair (assuming Chinese made) and then I was offered an original pair from a forum member which was the model/colour I had originally been looking for! I assume the originals were USA made?

In terms of quality and finish I think the new model is easily as good as the old USA made ones.

I will only be keeping one pair unfortunately and its going to be the old ones, but only because I like the style and colour a bit more.

I would ideally keep both mind, but can't justify the expenditure at the moment really!

Back