• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Some Misconceptions Cleared Up On Oakleys From China.

Made in China frames will always have it printed inside. Any and all recent metal frames and acetate are all made in China, and clearly stamped with it inside the arm.

Does it say made in China inside the temple?

It doesn't actually, neither the new or old crosshairs I have say where they were made? Neither do my Whiskers.

My radars and Flaks both say made in USA on inside of earsocks.

Made in China frames will always have it printed inside. Any and all recent metal frames and acetate are all made in China, and clearly stamped with it inside the arm.

Does it say made in China inside the temple?

I'm not sure about metal and acetate frames, but this is definitely not the case with O Matter frames. I've actually never seen an O Matter frame that says "Made in China" (not saying they don't exist), but I've seen a bunch that simply don't say anything.

older Sj's have Made in america on frame Newer one that I have seen have "assembled in america" on the box label same with my polished Black Vr28 Black Flaks

I'm not sure about metal and acetate frames, but this is definitely not the case with O Matter frames. I've actually never seen an O Matter frame that says "Made in China" (not saying they don't exist), but I've seen a bunch that simply don't say anything.
All metal frames will say it, I have acetate ones at my store and they are 100% fully made in China (mostly because VERY few facilities will actually work with raw acetate - NASTY STUFF!) but I can't recall if they are stamped with it. I have never seen a real pair of OMatter Oakleys that say "Made in China". Every pair that I have just say nothing now on the insides of them.

But on a really good note I will say this. We get in about 1,000 Oakley frames a year to resell. I personally put every one into inventory and I have never gotten 1 Oakley pair that is new that was defective in any way. Every hinge has been tight, every arm sits straight and no scratches. For me, their QC (quality control) has been top notch. I compare that with Ray Ban where I would say throughout a year I received maybe 10 that had issues, arms bent, frames out of straight, etc. As far as Costa goes I have had a few issues too (very few) metal weld broken, hinge broken. Oakley and Maui Jim seem to have excellent QC from the experiences I have had dealing with having a lot of them passing through my hands.

Well I recently got two pairs of Ti crosshairs, a new pair (assuming Chinese made) and then I was offered an original pair from a forum member which was the model/colour I had originally been looking for! I assume the originals were USA made?

In terms of quality and finish I think the new model is easily as good as the old USA made ones.

I will only be keeping one pair unfortunately and its going to be the old ones, but only because I like the style and colour a bit more.

I would ideally keep both mind, but can't justify the expenditure at the moment really!

I believe both your pairs were made in China. I don't think any wire frames have been made in the US for a while.

Here's the image Duke Nivram is referring to...
ugaqehu7.jpg

Back