• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Some of the work I've done.

Yes, all oem xm finishes seem to be a blasted finish as well. But the earlier generations have something else going on. Some sort of treatment done after the blasting to change the look of it. I still haven't figured out how to replicate the earlier finish.

The earlier Xm finish is much lighter and the 5th gen is darker right? All mine are first gen. 😆 I used to own a 5th gen as my first pair but lost it.
I had it the other way around ? Lol. But then again it seems the earlier xmetal finishes are all over the place.

The earlier xm is darker and different. Its almost a mix of blasted and a light stonewashed finish. Its hard to explain. Its unique for sure.
@PVD-Guy had some very interesting posts. He had pics of the pvd units they used for the plasma and carbon. Also mentioned are ultrasonic cleaner units ? Do you think the xmetal finishes would have passed through the cleaners also , possibly changing the blast finish a bit ? I wish they had a book about x-metals !

I had it the other way around ? Lol. But then again it seems the earlier xmetal finishes are all over the place.

The earlier xm is darker and different. Its almost a mix of blasted and a light stonewashed finish. Its hard to explain. Its unique for sure.
Wow that surprised me. Just when looking at my old pictures they always seem much darker than the early gen 1s I have.

Wow that surprised me. Just when looking at my old pictures they always seem much darker than the early gen 1s I have.
How much you wear em too has an affect on the look. Pairs that are worn alot you tend to get alot of skin oils on em and makes it look darker. Washing em in some hot water and mild soap will lighten an xm finish pair up a bit.