• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Spare Parts Availability?

D-Man

Oakley Beginner
With all the X-Metals that are being brought back from the dead and still getting love, what is the situation with spare parts (specifically, Nose bridges and earstems) for our babies? It seems pretty clear that Lux has no interest in ever bringing the secret X-Metal labs back online, so I'm assuming there's a finite quantity at which point...what? Is there a way to crowdsource X-Metal *compatible* parts without violating any potential IP? If I'm not mistaken, there was a gentleman on the boards already looking into fabricating hinges for the Half-X, so would these larger components ever be feasible as well?

Nosebridges and earstems were never available as spare parts. Only lenses and rubber kits, then the tuneup service. At best you could get a warranty repair, and in that case they'd typically replace the entire frame.

And nobody's going to produce Ti alloy replacement parts of comparable quality. IP issues aside, the per-unit cost would be prohibitive. One guy recast a single damaged R1 orbital and the work cost as much as an entire R1.

The Half-X hinge part that jdd32's fabricating is a small internal component of the spring hinge, not made of Ti.

What's out there, that's it. Which is why your question is a bit confusing, there hasn't been a shortage of nosebridges and earstems compared to orbitals that I know of. They're not wear parts, and the orbital is as likely, if not more likely, to break as anything else.

But I know a guy who can carve you a sunglass frame out of wood...

Nosebridges and earstems were never available as spare parts. Only lenses and rubber kits, then the tuneup service. At best you could get a warranty repair, and in that case they'd typically replace the entire frame.

And nobody's going to produce Ti alloy replacement parts of comparable quality. IP issues aside, the per-unit cost would be prohibitive. One guy recast a single damaged R1 orbital and the work cost as much as an entire R1.

The Half-X hinge part that jdd32's fabricating is a small internal component of the spring hinge, not made of Ti.

What's out there, that's it. Which is why your question is a bit confusing, there hasn't been a shortage of nosebridges and earstems compared to orbitals that I know of. They're not wear parts, and the orbital is as likely, if not more likely, to break as anything else.

But I know a guy who can carve you a sunglass frame out of wood...
:rofl:

Hmmmm, depends on what kind of wood. I'd say I'm more of a Bloodwood Plasma frame kind of guy...;)

Back