• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Spine Case

BigHill11590

Oakley Expert
Tampa FL USA
Ok, so I found a spine I case in my area for a really good deal. However it was basically a shell. NO shelves, no keys, all rusty like it had be left outside, no logo panel or anything. So now I'm in the process of restoring it and its going to be a much bigger job than I thought.

The first problem I came across was the acrylic boding glue. I did some research and found out that these cases are bonded by super strong glue basically. And sense the guy left the case out side the glue between the plexiglass has become discolored brown. So when you looked at the case the edges looked brown and dirty. After looking more I found out that you can't clean it without taking it apart. And that wasn't happening! So I eneded up going with spray paint to paint edges and corners silver. I think it looks way better than it did. But give me your thoughts.
3157D075-3767-4128-BE6C-72072A2F048B-8827-000004F724959670.jpg

E12CCF34-3E99-4654-A3A8-8F8A0CD27E51-8827-000004F720BCB920.jpg

All the shelves I bought before were for single wides so I had no problem heading lowes and getting a custom shelve cut. However they don't sell the same thicknesas that other original shelves where made of, and going with a thiner shelve would cause it to flex in the middle. So I went looking online and I found a company that would cut me one for me at $100. That's $400 for all the shelves. NO WAY I'm paying that! So I ended up going back to lowes and going with the thinner shelve and of course it flexs really bad in the middle. But let me know what you think.
87C38C49-38C4-4A6C-98B2-CA64A5AE141C-8827-000004F7277B8F7C.jpg

I like your back drop, the case it self looks good. I'm not sure if it any cheaper, but you might want to look at tempered glass as shelves.

Looks good.

Regarding the shelves could you double up the thin ones or make some sort of clear support to add strength?

I think you just like using spray paint ;) But it does look awesome!! I like the idea of doubling up the thinner shelves.

That case looks great with the silver borders. As for shelves, I'd look around for local fish tank builders and window companies. Since you are in FL I'm sure there are a ton around. A lot of times these places have access to a huge selection of glass for better prices than what a home improvement store would have. Usually places like that will charge you by the sheet for bigger projects and do the cuts for free and that can save you some cash. They also deal with all kinds of glass on a daily basis so they'd know exactly what type and thickness you should use to avoid the flexing for the least amount of money.

On a side note, where'd you find that poster you are using as a backdrop in your case? I just bought that exact pair and I'd love to have a poster to match.

That case looks great with the silver borders. As for shelves, I'd look around for local fish tank builders and window companies. Since you are in FL I'm sure there are a ton around. A lot of times these places have access to a huge selection of glass for better prices than what a home improvement store would have. Usually places like that will charge you by the sheet for bigger projects and do the cuts for free and that can save you some cash. They also deal with all kinds of glass on a daily basis so they'd know exactly what type and thickness you should use to avoid the flexing for the least amount of money.

On a side note, where'd you find that poster you are using as a backdrop in your case? I just bought that exact pair and I'd love to have a poster to match.

Dude that's a great idea! Thanks for the tip!

i actually saved the back drop from a local vault that was throwing it in the trash.

Dude that's a great idea! Thanks for the tip!

i actually saved the back drop from a local vault that was throwing it in the trash.
If you ever get tired of it please let me know, I'd gladly take it off your hands.

Latest Posts

Back