• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Splice Peel

NiGHTSx2

Oakley Expert
San Jose, CA
I have finally joined the Splice owners club! I picked up a pair of Platinum/Rootbeer Splice the other day. I've been reading up on them and know that there are some issues with paint peeling from the frames. From what I can tell, the issue is mainly with FMJ and chrome. Does anyone know if the problem applies to platinum or gunmetal finishes as well? I'm trying to figure out if I want to clearcoat the frames before I start wearing them.

All the Splice have the potential to peel as they are all FMJ/Gunmetal finishes. The only ones that may have less of an issue are the Matte Black ones.

As long as you take care of them, they should be fine. I bought my Gunmetal/Emerald and FMJ/Fire in 2003 and both are still in excellent condition with no issues in the finish. I wore them both regularly as i only had about 6 pairs of Oakleys at the time. I simply wiped them down after each use and did a good cleaning of them every month or so if they were worn. I will say that over the years, i gradually stopped wearing them as my collection grew.

Even if your frames do start showing wear over time, you can always get them refinished. The customs Dr. Chop has done look amazing!

Back