• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Split Fire

• Thread starter marc2040
  • Start date
M

marc2040

Today I decided to open up my last X-Mas present, the box was closed until yet.
Useless to say if you have a good girlfriend you will get good things. Ooops, I mean she told Father Christmas what was on my wishlist and he brought me a nice tool. Forgive me Father
Anyway!
The lady is out this evening and there was a nice set of Jawbone lenses inside my shrine.
Within 20 minutes I've dremeld them down to Split Jacket size. Yeah, that's so easy.

pyb3gki7.jpg

kiq5yhvm.jpg

rpn72lks.jpg

m35julaw.jpg

5nlil3gn.jpg

Nice job Marc! if you get into lens chopping i will have some business for you in future!
Thanks Oz. I'm not a pro, but I've made some custom lenses before.
I think with more experience and the frame in my hands I could chop lenses here and there.
What is the process you use for lens cutting?
Every lens chopper has his own process. I prefer to glue the old lens with a double sided tape on the new lens. Doesn't matter if you are using a dremel or file, you need sharp eyes.
Nice work Marc. You've more balls than me. I don't think I'd dare do that with any of mine.......:thumb:
Thanks O_S. I have two balls :confused:
thats sweeet! nice job bro!
Thanks wms. Let's wait and see what's next :smile:
great work! Perfect fit?
Thanks FMJ and yes, they fit perfect. That's my favorite color combo.
you did what! Looks okay
Yes, I think they look okay too.

nice1 marc! i personally use the 3000, but a friend of mine has the 4000 - the automatic speed takes some getting used to but it chews through like a dream. the 3000 is more of an "acclerator" type switch so i find it more intuitive - but the 4000 overall is much better. only shame is it doesnt have the easy-twist head that the 3000 has. very handy...

Every lens chopper has his own process. I prefer to glue the old lens with a double sided tape on the new lens. Doesn't matter if you are using a dremel or file, you need sharp eyes.

Brave and more brave...never saw anyone glue/tape a lens to another one before...and a file? that takes way too long lol..

Nice job, but why cut a lens that is readily available? Just extra jawbone lenses and practice? I have yet to upgrade my dremel as well. Trusty old 3000 series gets new brushes in the motor annually lol. I determine speed by sound rather than the switch setting. I don't know if I could do an auto rev type speed thing. Lack of precise control would be tough. I use the cordless also at times, but not for heavy cutting cuz the 10.8v li-ion one has an inherent problem when it loads up under stress the circuit boards pop! Not good...

Lots of fun though...

Back