• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Split Shot: How I landed with a Unicorn

Congrats

Seems to be hard to get stuff over there.

Now that you've identified that the lenses arent DWP, the question that needs to be asked is:

Are they authentic Oakley lenses or aftermarket?
Yes...it's hard if you are out for a specific product. We don't even have Oakley vaults around here. Only Sunglass Hut and other Multiband outlets. No customer support, no spares.

WRT the lenses...yes, I had the same questions and spent hours pondering. Aftermarket lenses surely wouldn't have the Prizm P etching...and why would someone alter an unsold product? The only explanation that seemed to make some sense was the swap theory! I'll keep my eyes open for a Translucent Blue SS with DWP!

Yes...it's hard if you are out for a specific product. We don't even have Oakley vaults around here. Only Sunglass Hut and other Multiband outlets. No customer support, no spares.

WRT the lenses...yes, I had the same questions and spent hours pondering. Aftermarket lenses surely wouldn't have the Prizm P etching...and why would someone alter an unsold product? The only explanation that seemed to make some sense was the swap theory!

I appreciate your wishful thinking and hope for the best too....

But some sellers will sell frame and lenses individually to maximize profit. Theyll out aftermarket lenses in the frame and dump it.

If hes a pro, it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to have a machine to etch the lenses.

The best way for you to confirm, is to compare the tint of the lens when looking through by holding yours up to a known authentic sapphire lens(next time you go by sunglass hut or one of those big stores) just yo confirm them are similar or the same when looking through the lens.

I appreciate your wishful thinking and hope for the best too....

But some sellers will sell frame and lenses individually to maximize profit. Theyll out aftermarket lenses in the frame and dump it.

If hes a pro, it's not out of the realm of possibility for him to have a machine to etch the lenses.

The best way for you to confirm, is to compare the tint of the lens when looking through by holding yours up to a known authentic sapphire lens(next time you go by sunglass hut or one of those big stores) just yo confirm them are similar or the same when looking through the lens.

That's bad news...but informative. You're right in saying I was being overtly optimistic. Never thought there could be such levels of foul-play at dealer levels!

I've tried Sapphire so I can say the tint looks correct. But yes, nothing like a side by side comparo.

1568696663535.png

Congrats on your find!

I've been eyeing a Twoface with prescription Sapphire lenses for a while now. I have to say, after reading this thread and seeing some pictures, I kind of like the DWP look, probably on a different frame, but still, it looks great!

Honestly it's pretty cool that someone has appreciation for a less-talked-about pair, and sees its upside.

Current Oakley is so polarizing. I am underwhelmed by the aesthetic and finish, but the functionality is arguably at its best. There may be some each-to-their own cases (like OG Radar vs. EV), but it seems apparent a lot of styling cues have their purpose.

Back