• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Split Shot: How I landed with a Unicorn

kmbijit

I should Work at Oakley
I was obsessed with the Split Shot since it was announced sometime in 2018. Adding fuel to the fire were some really cool video reviews by SportRx –enough to have the image of the SS as a lifestyle/vacation pair etched on my mind. Beyond the advertising/publicity, I really bought into the idea of this integrated, removable leash system as well as the DWP lenses. I locked onto the 9416-0764 Polished White with DWP and there began my hunt.

7_Oakley-Split-Shot_Sailing2-1.jpg

Waited several months for SS to become available in India, and when it finally did, it was only available online with the Polished Black/Shallow Water. No DWP and No Polished White. I continued keeping a patient watch, and weeks later, the Black Ink/Prizm Black made an appearance online, but the Matte Black DWP and polished white DWP versions were nowhere on the radar. I moved my search efforts to offline stores, but most offline stores were interested in selling me Turbines and Fuel Cells indicating a similar fit and style.

Forward to August, where I noticed the proprietor of a reputed multi-brand eyewear store sporting a pair of Oakley Rx frames himself. Struck up a conversation, and we got along well. I actually ended up showing him the Split Shot videos on Youtube, and to my surprise, he said he could get me the Polished White SS.

The catch? It would be an off-the-record sale, more of a personal deal and I’d be getting only the glasses and the bag. No case, no box and no bill. I was a bit suspicious, but bit the bait anyway. I figured I had nothing to lose, I’d be paying only after taking delivery and I guess I knew well enough to spot a fake. Deal locked, INR8500 ($120 equivalent) for the Split Shot 9416-07. Second catch? The guy was clueless about DWP and I hadn’t seen one in real life – We both know it would be a pale blue iridium, but that was about it.

Last Friday, I get a call that the glasses were finally here. I reach the store and he hands me the bag. I open it up, excited like a kid. Polished frame white with…wait, what? DWP wasn’t supposed to look that blue! The lens was more like Prizm Sapphire. The seller had no idea – he said he got the Polished White Split Shot as I wanted. I could take it or leave it. I thought of turning down the deal – but my heart didn’t want to let go of the frame. I weighed my options – if I let go, my next option would be to wait longer, months maybe, or to import one. Importing one would take the ball north of $200. Or $300, including duties and shipping. Decided to review again.
  • Check 1- Microfiber Bag - No thin strings and label was correct. Authentic.
  • Check 2: Leash - It was in a small ziplock pouch, and had the O logo on a rubber tab at the back.
  • Check 3: Leash flaps and mechanism – worked as intended.
  • Check 4: Hinge, Build quality – Excellent build, in fact, the frame suggested a build quality far better than my Drop Point.
  • Check 5: Lens – Said ‘Prizm P’ etched and was polarized. No irregularities. Did Oakley make a SS with the Sapphire lens? Looked up on the Oakley website, there was indeed a Prizm Sapphire Polarized – the 9416-0464.
It was either this $120 unit or a $300 import. Decided to go with it. Reached home and immediately fired up a post on Possible Fakes thread hoping someone could smell something fishy. Didn’t get any response though - I guess Split shots aren't very common! Not a bad thing, less common stuff mean lesser probability of a counterfeit (ahem, Holbrooks!)

Kept racking my brains throughout the weekend. Loved the frame, but couldn’t take my thoughts off the fact that the lens didn’t match. Finally the eureka moment – there had to be a swap somewhere in the backend. Someone, somewhere for sure got his hands on translucent blue and wanted a DWP just like I did. And someone (probably the seller himself?) actually switched out the lenses from the Polished White to make him a customized pair. What was left on the inventory was a unicorn – which is why he didn’t put it on the sale records!! I am now convinced, the other buyer would have bought it off the record as well. Revelation are sometimes so elementary!

Now my white unicorn and I are in peace with ourselves. I’ve decided to enjoy the Sapphire lens FWIW though I do miss the DWP. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on a set of DWP lenses. Nevertheless, Sapphire does look cool with the white frame.

Sapphire is a nice blue. DWP is better IMHO. good luck with the search. There are some for sale in the exchange and are a great price. not sure what shipping and duties would be for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was obsessed with the Split Shot since it was announced sometime in 2018. Adding fuel to the fire were some really cool video reviews by SportRx –enough to have the image of the SS as a lifestyle/vacation pair etched on my mind. Beyond the advertising/publicity, I really bought into the idea of this integrated, removable leash system as well as the DWP lenses. I locked onto the 9416-0764 Polished White with DWP and there began my hunt.

7_Oakley-Split-Shot_Sailing2-1.jpg

Waited several months for SS to become available in India, and when it finally did, it was only available online with the Polished Black/Shallow Water. No DWP and No Polished White. I continued keeping a patient watch, and weeks later, the Black Ink/Prizm Black made an appearance online, but the Matte Black DWP and polished white DWP versions were nowhere on the radar. I moved my search efforts to offline stores, but most offline stores were interested in selling me Turbines and Fuel Cells indicating a similar fit and style.

Forward to August, where I noticed the proprietor of a reputed multi-brand eyewear store sporting a pair of Oakley Rx frames himself. Struck up a conversation, and we got along well. I actually ended up showing him the Split Shot videos on Youtube, and to my surprise, he said he could get me the Polished White SS.

The catch? It would be an off-the-record sale, more of a personal deal and I’d be getting only the glasses and the bag. No case, no box and no bill. I was a bit suspicious, but bit the bait anyway. I figured I had nothing to lose, I’d be paying only after taking delivery and I guess I knew well enough to spot a fake. Deal locked, INR8500 ($120 equivalent) for the Split Shot 9416-07. Second catch? The guy was clueless about DWP and I hadn’t seen one in real life – We both know it would be a pale blue iridium, but that was about it.

Last Friday, I get a call that the glasses were finally here. I reach the store and he hands me the bag. I open it up, excited like a kid. Polished frame white with…wait, what? DWP wasn’t supposed to look that blue! The lens was more like Prizm Sapphire. The seller had no idea – he said he got the Polished White Split Shot as I wanted. I could take it or leave it. I thought of turning down the deal – but my heart didn’t want to let go of the frame. I weighed my options – if I let go, my next option would be to wait longer, months maybe, or to import one. Importing one would take the ball north of $200. Or $300, including duties and shipping. Decided to review again.
  • Check 1- Microfiber Bag - No thin strings and label was correct. Authentic.
  • Check 2: Leash - It was in a small ziplock pouch, and had the O logo on a rubber tab at the back.
  • Check 3: Leash flaps and mechanism – worked as intended.
  • Check 4: Hinge, Build quality – Excellent build, in fact, the frame suggested a build quality far better than my Drop Point.
  • Check 5: Lens – Said ‘Prizm P’ etched and was polarized. No irregularities. Did Oakley make a SS with the Sapphire lens? Looked up on the Oakley website, there was indeed a Prizm Sapphire Polarized – the 9416-0464.
It was either this $120 unit or a $300 import. Decided to go with it. Reached home and immediately fired up a post on Possible Fakes thread hoping someone could smell something fishy. Didn’t get any response though - I guess Split shots aren't very common! Not a bad thing, less common stuff mean lesser probability of a counterfeit (ahem, Holbrooks!)

Kept racking my brains throughout the weekend. Loved the frame, but couldn’t take my thoughts off the fact that the lens didn’t match. Finally the eureka moment – there had to be a swap somewhere in the backend. Someone, somewhere for sure got his hands on translucent blue and wanted a DWP just like I did. And someone (probably the seller himself?) actually switched out the lenses from the Polished White to make him a customized pair. What was left on the inventory was a unicorn – which is why he didn’t put it on the sale records!! I am now convinced, the other buyer would have bought it off the record as well. Revelation are sometimes so elementary!

Now my white unicorn and I are in peace with ourselves. I’ve decided to enjoy the Sapphire lens FWIW though I do miss the DWP. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on a set of DWP lenses. Nevertheless, Sapphire does look cool with the white frame.

View attachment 654573

View attachment 654574

View attachment 654577
Dwp is the prettiest blue lense. It is also an off frame to be so excited about since it looks like a mut, may I ask what’s so thrilling

Congrats, I’m glad you were able to pretty much find the frame you wanted, sucks not the lenses, but you probably can work out a deal here to get the lenses you want

Sapphire is a nice blue. DWP is better IMHO. good luck with the search. There are some for sale in the exchange and are a great price. not sure what shipping and duties would be for you.
Thanks @Codechimp08. My only grudge with Sapphire is that the tint is not uniform, it's reddish towards the center and changes to greenish-brown towards the edges. The tint-shift makes me feel disoriented. Not sure if DWP suffers the same too?

It is also an off frame to be so excited about since it looks like a mut, may I ask what’s so thrilling
It's all about what fits my face and my inclination towards wraparound frames. I've tried most of the commonly available wraparounds - Turbines, Fuel Cells, Straightlink... very few actually suit my face. Sport-oriented models like the Flak/Jawbreaker/Jackets don't suit me at all. Same with Frogskins and Hilbrooks though I do own a 'brook.

Thanks @Codechimp08. My only grudge with Sapphire is that the tint is not uniform, it's reddish towards the center and changes to greenish-brown towards the edges. The tint-shift makes me feel disoriented. Not sure if DWP suffers the same too?

It's all about what fits my face and my inclination towards wraparound frames. I've tried most of the commonly available wraparounds - Turbines, Fuel Cells, Straightlink... very few actually suit my face. Sport-oriented models like the Flak/Jawbreaker/Jackets don't suit me at all. Same with Frogskins and Hilbrooks though I do own a 'brook.
That’s how I feel with Sapphire. Really cool lens, but the color change around peripherals can be disorienting. DWP does not have that.

Congrats

Seems to be hard to get stuff over there.

Now that you've identified that the lenses arent DWP, the question that needs to be asked is:

Are they authentic Oakley lenses or aftermarket?

Back