• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sport Suggestions

Dynasty90

Oakley Beginner
I'm hoping to get some suggestions regarding Oakley sport sunglasses.

The most popular choice seems to be the Flak Jacket XLJ's. My friend allowed me a 24 hour trial period with his to see how I liked them. My experience proved the Flak Jacket XLJ's are not for me. One reason is that they simply did not look right on me and second, they also let in much more light than I anticipated. It's like the lens was not large enough for my face.

Looking at the specs on Oakley's website, I noticed that the Fast Jacket XL's offer a much larger lens....71mm compared to 63mm width. However, the Fast Jackets are much more expensive and I really don't need the lens lever feature for quick lens changes.

Am I missing a better alternative? Does Oakley offer a solution for me?

Radar would have more coverage if an XLJ lens wasn't big enough, might wrap a little better for ya.

However, the Fast Jackets are much more expensive and I really don't need the lens lever feature for quick lens changes.

I'll have to be captain douche, but if you're considering eyewear at this price point, cost difference shouldn't be a factor here.

Two other things to consider are that there's a flak 2.0 and the fast jacket is on its way out now.

The Flak 2.0 XL is bigger than the Flak XLJ. For me it fits the same as a Radarlock path but without a shield lens. I say for me. Everyone's face is different.

I have a number of Flaks, Flak 2.0 and Radarlocks. Flaks are definitely smallest and give most light leakage for my face. As I say Flak 2.0 and Radarlock path fit me quite similarly.

If I was staring again id go Flak 2.0.

I'm hoping to get some suggestions regarding Oakley sport sunglasses.

The most popular choice seems to be the Flak Jacket XLJ's. My friend allowed me a 24 hour trial period with his to see how I liked them. My experience proved the Flak Jacket XLJ's are not for me. One reason is that they simply did not look right on me and second, they also let in much more light than I anticipated. It's like the lens was not large enough for my face.

Looking at the specs on Oakley's website, I noticed that the Fast Jacket XL's offer a much larger lens....71mm compared to 63mm width. However, the Fast Jackets are much more expensive and I really don't need the lens lever feature for quick lens changes.

Am I missing a better alternative? Does Oakley offer a solution for me?
That is the beauty of Oakley, there are always other solutions. You have not addressed another feature. Why are you considering the Flak Jackets, do you need to have a half frame? The purpose of the half frame is to prevent an obscured view at the bottom end of the lens. If this is not a factor for you, your options are many. If they are for sport, The Radar, like others have stated are a great do it all choice. They look good, they do not have the additional cost for the "lock" tech (but still have a relatively easy lens change), and they have great coverage. I am an avid cyclist, road and mtb. I have a couple Radarlock and love them, but I really tend to lean on my Race Jackets a ton. These have a surprisingly good coverage as well, I really feel like these are the do-it-all sport glasses. Consider the type of lenses you want as well. Will you just get one tint and never change it? Will you change your mind and discover you may want one lens for bright light, one for low light/contrast, one that transitions, or even one of the new Prizm options (you really must try them). I suggest making a list of the possible models you would like to look at and try on, then take that list to the store and put them to the test. No amount of talking about them can replace the moment you place them on your noggin!

Back