• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Square Wire 2.0 Aftermarket Lenses - Canada

Hey.

So a slight update is that after speaking to Oakley some more, they've offered me 50% off a new pair, with free shipping in both directions (as they'd need me to return the old pair).

Only thing is I'm not totally convinced (yet) on the new styles. I don't like the new square wire, but I think the conductor 8 is probably the closest equivalent to my existing square wire 2.0. It's still hard to be convinced as they are noticeably bigger lenses than the square wire 2.0. But I may end up liking them better in the long run after I get used to them... 50% off is a good deal for a brand new pair (who knows how much life is left in my existing frames - could be years, or much less...)

So my 3 options are:
  • Buy a new pair at 50% off, likely the Conductor 8
  • Buy aftermarket lenses - don't really want to go the route of 3rd party lenses, to be honest
  • Buy the non-spring hinge lenses, which leave a gap with my spring hinge model

Any other options? I think my most ideal would be new lenses that perfectly fit the spring hinge square wire 2.0. But it doesn't sound like that's an option. I've asked some of the local shops who cut lenses, and they don't cut Oakley.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Graham.

I did just want to add I'd seen some mention of @Chris A Hardaway doing custom cuts from OEM lenses for the Square Wire 2.0 spring hinge (black iridium polarized).

I know I still have a while before I meet the requirements for buying/selling, but was wondering if anyone had any idea what these might cost? It'll help make my decision as I can compare the cost of that to buying a new pair. Also, would I need to send my frames to him, or can I pop the lenses in? What is turnaround time like?

I just wanted to ask just now because if it's either not an option, or price is prohibitive, or timeframe doesn't work, it'd be better to find that out now, rather than wait a week and find I wouldn't go that route anyway :)

Thanks!

Graham.

Your best bet is to go with custom cuts at this point. Here's why.

1. 50% off a pair for your Square Wire 2.0 is **** IMO. You can get a new pair you like more than your current options from a source other than Oakley. Then if you can sell that SW2.0 if you feel the need to and be better off financially in the end.

2. You're not likely to find the OEM spring hinge lenses and while the ones I have will work, the gap would bother the **** out of me. It would be ok for some, but not me.

3. Aftermarket, as you stated, wouldn't really be an option for me. I'd retire the frame or live with the gap before I did that.

To answer your other question, cuts are about $40 plus the donor lens which can be anywhere from $30 to $150 depending on what lens you get, where you get it, and when you get it. (Several times a year Oakley offers a 30% discount on purchases).

There are plenty of good guys here that can cut them. I've only ever had two custom cut sets, a XX Torch, and a Violet Juliet, both cut by @Chris A Hardaway. Both impeccable. Turn around was within a week. I think I sent them on a Thursday and had then back by Tuesday but that all depends on how busy the cutter is.

I hope all this helps.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Yep, I've basically ruled out aftermarket. I think I've also ruled out the OEM non-spring hinge ones. As you said, it'd annoy me :)

Regarding the custom cuts, I had a few questions I was hoping you could answer:
  • So would I need to purchase the donor lens, or is someone like @Chris A Hardaway able to provide the lens? I suspect my buying options are more limited in Canada.
  • Any idea roughly when the next 30% offer is? I'm impatient, so not sure how long I'd wait, especially since summer is fast approaching up here :)
  • Were your approximate costs for lens and cut per lens, or was that the total for a pair of lenses? Both my lenses need replaced, so just trying to work out a total cost.
  • Would I send him the frame as well, or would he just send me the lenses?

Is there any way to chat about this with @Chris A Hardaway before I meet the criteria for the 'exchange'. My main reason is just finding what my total cost would be to replace both lenses with the black iridium polarized for the hinged square wire 2.0, if he'd be able to provide the lenses, etc.

Thanks again for your help. Sorry, this is all quite new to me!

Graham.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Yep, I've basically ruled out aftermarket. I think I've also ruled out the OEM non-spring hinge ones. As you said, it'd annoy me :)

Regarding the custom cuts, I had a few questions I was hoping you could answer:
  • So would I need to purchase the donor lens, or is someone like @Chris A Hardaway able to provide the lens? I suspect my buying options are more limited in Canada.
  • Any idea roughly when the next 30% offer is? I'm impatient, so not sure how long I'd wait, especially since summer is fast approaching up here :)
  • Were your approximate costs for lens and cut per lens, or was that the total for a pair of lenses? Both my lenses need replaced, so just trying to work out a total cost.
  • Would I send him the frame as well, or would he just send me the lenses?

Is there any way to chat about this with @Chris A Hardaway before I meet the criteria for the 'exchange'. My main reason is just finding what my total cost would be to replace both lenses with the black iridium polarized for the hinged square wire 2.0, if he'd be able to provide the lenses, etc.

Thanks again for your help. Sorry, this is all quite new to me!

Graham.
Personally ... I'd also look into another pair ... At least go in store and try on new frames...

With the 50% off deal (and free ship) they're offering, buying a set of donor lenses (80$) and having em chopped (30-50$ USD???) and shipped (20$ USD) will come to being as expensive (or more) as a new pair with 50% off ...

And some day that spring hinge WILL fail ... Leaving you with nice lenses on a frame that doesn't really work ...

Next FF (30% off) should be around American Thanksgiving ... IF they do it in Canada ... FF has been kinda new here and they changed the concept this year to actual cards with the code on em ...

I know there were a lot of people on social media around here who couldn't get any... I boarded a few codes just for the Forums! ;)

He would have to answer all those questions but @Lexkempo has very good points. I'm speaking from the perspective that I'd keep that one forever. Ive had both my SW 2.0 SH, ice and fire, since about 99 or 2000.

It could get quite pricey though.

Thanks - I will at least go in and try them on, as you suggested. You never know, I may end up liking them more!

As for the cost, you're probably about right. The Conductor 8 (for example) is $295 (CAD) on Oakley's website. At 50% off, that's $147.50 CAD. With the custom cuts, it's approximately $150 USD (approx $190 CAD), potentially more if I have to ship lenses there and then pay for shipping back to Canada in some kind of guaranteed method so they don't lose them! :) I'm also not bearing in mind tax here, as I'm unsure if the quoted approximate prices are + tax, or inclusive of them.

So to get the custom cuts, I'd need to buy them, rather than someone like Chris buying them and me paying him for them? As you say, unsure if they do FF in Canada.

I would be rather upset if I got new lenses and the spring hinge failed shortly thereafter :) But who knows, that could be many years out.

I'm also assuming I get the usual 2 year warranty with the replacements from Oakley.

Still trying to decide, so any other input (either on your thoughts, or answers to some of the questions) would be very much appreciated.

Is @Chris A Hardaway likely to see this? Or will I have to wait to meet the exchange rules before I can get answers? I'm definitely not trying to bypass the rules and wouldn't look to order anything before I've met the criteria, but if he'd be able to answer some of those questions just now, that'd help me make a decision on whether to wait and go custom cuts, or consider the 50% 'upgrade' deal.

Thanks!

Graham.

He would have to answer all those questions but @Lexkempo has very good points. I'm speaking from the perspective that I'd keep that one forever. Ive had both my SW 2.0 SH, ice and fire, since about 99 or 2000.

It could get quite pricey though.
That's why I suggested simply looking ... There no good answer

We all know lenses can be expensive or OEM are VERY few and far between (unless @Oakster has a stash ) AND even the rubbers are getting scarce ( and forget if if you wanted coloured rubbers ... It's black or nothin' )

BUT

New wires styling often sucks, the quality is questionable AND they don't last more than a few years for sale...so if OP wanted new lenses in 3-5 years he may be in the exact same position he is now ...

Maybe a Catch 22 kind of situation...

Back